Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Best double reed duck call

Posted 7/29/2014 11:34:08 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/7/2014 10:43:05 AM
Wow, only one post in 2014 before this one? Yikes. I've got one.
There's a lot of disagreement between double reed and single reed, and now cutdown duck calls. I blow double reeds exclusively, but I'm not afraid to admit that single reeds have a better range, and a cutdown is really personal ideology as much as anything. I don't doubt that one day I will solely utilize single reeds when I hunt.
That being said, I started with a double reed because that is what is a little bit easier, and for the most part cheaper. I recently blew a Hayes Bad Azz/lil bad azz, zink ph2, zink atm, rnt alpha 2, and there was one or two more I can't remember at the moment. Just in my personal experience, nothing compared to the Echo Meat Hanger that I currently rely on in regards of ease and sound. I had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket and just knew I was going to buy a new call, but ended up walking out without one from the large store I visited. Believe it or not, the Hayes sounded the best to me. I was very interested in Zink's "z cut," or whatever they call it that doesn't stick, but when I tried a few simple feeding call notes and it sounded like a kazoo, I knew that the call wasn't for me. My only complaint with the Meat Hanger is that it doesn't always sound up to par in cold weather and can stick, but this year I am going to try to use Rain-X to fix the problem. 
So, DO try the calls in person, and not just go off of internet ratings.

"Old school hunters used to say...if you can't land 'em on the water, you're not a duck hunter."
Little Debbie Pro-staff
Google Earth Pro-staff
"No members currently viewing this forum!"
Post #776457
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 7/30/2014 10:16:42 PM

Last Login: 12/5/2014 8:05:49 PM
I bought an rnt alpha 2 and it fits my needs and skill level pretty good i think.  Ducks will decide this fall.  It has a nice ducky sound to my ear and I tend to be a light caller.  It doesn't get really loud, but I haven't need to blow one at 40psi to get a ducks attention yet anyway.
Post #776483
 Posted 7/30/2014 11:14:41 PM

Last Login: 5 hours ago
Amen Arkansashogs18,

I would never consider buying a duck call I didn't try out first!
Post #776484