Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Need advice on fixing a beaver swamp

Posted 2/6/2014 2:48:43 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/6/2014 6:35:35 PM
I got a question that I know swamper can help with but any advice is appreciated. I have a beaver swamp in South Carolina that I can hunt and just found out about it. It used to be a duck reserve until the city came in and blew up some beaver dams and killed off most of the beaver population. Then a drought hit and the swamp dried up several years. Now there is some beaver activity and the swamp is starting to flood again. The water level is about knee deep in about a 200 yard by 80 yard area with two beaver dams about 100 yards apart. The problem is the swamp is so grown up with swamp grass that the ducks have no where to really land. There is still some duck activity, mostly wood ducks and geese. I hunted the swamp about 6 times the last 2 weeks of the season and shot around 10 woodies and 5 geese off of it between me and my cousin. Most of the ducks would come in and keep on going. So i was wondering how I can get rid of a lot of that grass that has grown up in there? and it is THICK. I was thinking of using an aquatic killer that is supposedly animal friendly but i don't know that it will get rid of the roots that are about a half a foot to a foot under water. I was also thinking of beefing up the lower dam to raise the water level. How should I go about doing this? Also what should I plant? I was thinking about either milo, millet, corn, or rice or a mixture of some. I'd like to attract woodies, geese, mallard and some teal to the area, those are the most common ducks in this area. Also I am a college student so I am on a budget but don't mind spending hours in the swamp fixing it.    

Also, I have an aerial photo of the swamp and I have marked the dams and property boundary if that helps? I am new to the forums so I am having trouble attaching it to the thread. 

Tags:
Post #775595
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 2/8/2014 12:33:41 PM

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:20:43 PM
Hi.  Sounds like a good spot.  Couple comments.   You are down south but I assume,  like up here, you have a winter kill of most vegetation. You may find that in the spring some of those won't regenerate from being submerged.  Get after some good size areas with round up when they begin to grow. That will give you some good open areas.  Beav ponds are hard to plant since the water can't be lowered to allow planting. Native goodies and invertebrate should draw in some birds. Good luck. 

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #775608
 Posted 2/19/2014 12:18:05 PM

Last Login: 9/11/2014 11:34:30 AM
look up Clemson Leveler. They can be made fairly cheap without buying one already premade. that should help with adjusting water levels. You can raise it and it will stay flooded and the grass will turn into a mudflat where you can lower it and then plant it. I started one last year and planted it with good results other than i planted it too early i assume because by time season came all the ducks were gone. 
Post #775656