Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Longlines for decoys

Posted 12/11/2013 8:50:11 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/16/2014 4:09:30 PM
I've got a Stealth boat and was thinking I might get into a situation in which I need to longline my decoys. The water depth varies quite a bit, from 1' to possibly 15', and I'm looking for a solution to floating some diver decoys without having to get 20' lines on each decoy. Longlines seemed to be the way to go but I'm not sure if I should buy a rig (looking at Doctari and Rig Em Right) or make my own. Anyone have any insight into longlines? Thanks in advance for your help.
Post #775117
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 7/17/2014 8:55:28 AM

Last Login: 7/17/2014 9:01:30 AM
What is your current or tide?  If you are in a pond or lake should not be a problem.  The wind may move them around to look natural  on flowing water, I have found long lines tend to be just that long lines of decoys that don't look natural.  I have gone to using a series of parralel long lines to produce the desired group setting.  I use lines that are 100 to 150 feet long  with anchors on both ends.  Decoys have 4 foot lines with a clip on each to attach to the main long line.  I do put a 2 oz barrel sinker on each to send the line straight down and not be seen.  Hope this helps. Duckhead
Post #776339
lew
 Posted 8/11/2014 9:38:43 PM

Last Login: 8/11/2014 9:46:51 PM
I agree with the above a line of decoys does not look natural, you could use a couple lines. I buy trot lines, they have the molded beads to clip your decoys on and in the summer you can use them to fish with. Multi tasking at it best.
Post #776600
 Posted 8/11/2014 10:37:47 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:38:30 PM
I just started using long lines last season, so I'm not going to claim to know much.  These other guys seem to know what they are talking about.  For mine, I bought parachute cord.  Every foot or so I have a clip that can just quickly attach a decoy when I'm putting out my spread.  I'm hunting a river with fairly decent current, so I'll just anchor one end and let the other end float.  If you've got a dog, however, anchor both ends.  Use a couple lines...I use 3.  Then have a few decoys with their own lines and weights to mix in and break up the uniformity.  I feel like I did okay this way last season!

Alex  
Post #776603