Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Sporting Clays and the Blind

Posted 11/23/2013 7:59:23 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/19/2014 8:52:29 PM
Howdy...I'm new to shotgunning and waterfowling.  With respect to strictly shooting, can a correlation be made with success, or lack thereof, at the sporting clay stand and in the blind be made? Do the differences in loads mitigate this correlation?  Thanks. J.
Post #774874
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 11/24/2013 5:46:25 PM

Last Login: 9/1/2014 6:43:28 PM
Can a correlation be made between sporting clays and in a blind? Not sure exactly what you are looking for but here's my take.

Will shooting sporting clays or skeet make you better in the duck blind? Yes, but any time spent shouldering a gun and shooting will benefit you as a hunter.  As long as proper form is followed.  In skeet or sporting clays, you learn about leading a target, tracking a target, and follow thru after the shot.  BUT -
Neither sporting clays or skeet will teach you how to pop up out of a layout blind pick a bird, and down that bird.  Or teach you how to quickly decide one bird in an incoming flock to shoot at and not flock shoot.

I know great duck shooters who suck at skeet, and guys who will hit 24 out of 25 clays, but spend all 3 shells on a goose at 20 yards and not cut a feather.

Since you said you are fairly new to shooting sports I encourage you to give skeet or clays a try.  Just don't be upset if you don't hit all the clays, that doesn't mean you wont enjoy or harvest game on a waterfowl hunt.  I shoot clays with friends from time to time, but not at a club, got fed up with the skeet range snobbery.

Troy

Post #774880
 Posted 11/24/2013 9:06:10 PM

Last Login: 2/19/2014 8:52:29 PM
Troy, thank you for the insight. I am certainly on the "lack thereof" side of the spectrum with respect to sporting clays, especially if I try to mount and shoot.  Consequently, popping out of the blind was one of my concerns.

Thanks again.  J.
Post #774884
 Posted 4/25/2014 9:30:15 AM

Last Login: 5/12/2014 9:24:21 AM
I agree with Troy. When I first started waterfowl hunting I was already used to shooting clays with my father. However just because I can hit clays didn't mean I knew when to shoot or come out of my blind. Time and experience will benefit you. Good luck
Post #775976
 Posted 5/7/2014 9:11:07 PM

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:41:28 AM
tmorates541 (4/25/2014)
I agree with Troy. When I first started waterfowl hunting I was already used to shooting clays with my father. However just because I can hit clays didn't mean I knew when to shoot or come out of my blind. Time and experience will benefit you. Good luck

I agree. A clay pigeon floating at 30 yards is pretty different from half a dozen woodies swooping over the decoys at first light. But, like was already mentioned, practice mounting your gun smoothly and correctly can't be undervalued, either. My opinion...if you have an excuse to shoot your gun, do it!

"Old school hunters used to say...if you can't land 'em on the water, you're not a duck hunter."
Little Debbie Pro-staff
Google Earth Pro-staff
"No members currently viewing this forum!"
Post #776047