Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 11/17/2013 12:30:53 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/1/2014 9:29:14 PM
my lab is currently in his first season, and hes gotten around 50+ ducks this season. hes only 9 months old. hes got the concept and is awesome in the blind. he watches them fly and has no problem marking ducks that fall even when he does see them, hes been introduced to blind retrieves but has by no means mastered them.

so my only problem with him so far is when i shoot a duck on the water or close to it, he doesnt understand that i killed a duck and he needs to retrieve it. normally if i send him on a "back" or throw a spent shell in that direction hell retrieve it no problem. just trying to think of solutions to this without always sending him running a blind.

just curious if there is a way to teach him my shotgun splash in the water is also a duck falling. ive thought about maybe throwing a bumper, then shooting in the water next to it and sending him? not sure if that would work just a thought. any input would be greatly appreciated!
Post #774794
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 11/17/2013 2:05:48 PM

Last Login: 4/28/2014 12:40:53 PM
Just give him time---he's new to it all. Send him blind when that happens, like you said,--------------- he'll learn.
Post #774796
 Posted 11/17/2013 2:37:18 PM

Last Login: 4 hours ago
don't ground pound them.........that would solve the problem too..  :)

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #774798
 Posted 11/17/2013 3:13:20 PM

Last Login: 2/17/2014 11:28:46 PM
Easy, in his training always say "mark" before you throw the bird or bumper, he'll figure out to look for the bird when you sy it. Then just say the same command "mark", before you shoot.

Make 'em dead!
Post #774799
 Posted 11/17/2013 7:05:05 PM

i always say mark, and he always looks  but he just looks confused if he doesnt see the falling bird, the low flyers or onces just decoying that get shot he doesnt seeem to realize theres a duck in that splash on the water, guess hell figure it out after it happens more, its not something that happens alot per hunt anyway, just saw it as a problem and wanted to fix it before it got bad is all, appreciate the help so far guys
Post #774803
 Posted 11/22/2013 6:38:36 AM

Last Login: 8/16/2014 12:45:10 AM
Blanch, not being sure where you are with your training or what level you want to go with it, your asking your pup to retrieve what is called "a blind".  It takes trainers up to several months to get their dog to accomplish this and then ongoing tune ups form there for life. A dog trained at a high level would be lined to the duck with a commend then directed to it with whistles and hand signals. Even if this was your goal, at 9 months old its a bit early to expect that unless your a professional trainer, trains every day and with a set defined program to accomplish it - even them 9 months old is pushing it depending on the maturity of the pup. 

Again not knowing your training path of if the pup has been force fetched - but if your goal is the simple "I send you - you got get it - bring it back" I have some suggestions but they have to be done on the off season. 

Set up some bumpers in the field about 25 - 30 yards with your pup sitting at your side and throw a bumper to the pile and send him with a command that you will always use and only use for blinds. i say "dead bird" ... BACK!! When he returns send him to the pile without throwing one this time. Your goal is to get him to retrieve the bumpers without having to throw one. you may have to throw several before he catches on. The first time he does it make such big del out it you'd think he won the lottery for you. This wont happen in 1 session and it make take several - keep it fun and upbeat. Keep at it and move back as he gets better. then move to water and start over form the begining. At some point you want to plant bumpers in the water without him seeing you do that and start the processes over. 

Short of the formal process of FF pile work pattern blinds and colds blinds this might meet your needs and objective? 

good luck 

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com
Post #774856
 Posted 11/25/2013 5:07:14 PM

He was sent to a professional at 6 months for 3 months. He has been introduced to blinds and is someone what decent on ones that aren't too long.  20 to  30 yards is say.
Post #774892