Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Whats the best Electronic Training Collar?

Posted 9/9/2013 10:05:02 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/12/2013 2:56:07 AM
I was wondering if any one could tell me what Electronic Training Collars are the best. My buddy has a SportDog 1825 ($299) and loves it but i don't know if its worth the money or if I need a mile range. I have have been trying to decide between the SportDog 1825($299) and the Garmin Delta($199) but I have never used an Electronic Training Collar before so I don't know what to look for. Any advice?

Hunter Connor

Tags:
Post #773770
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 9/10/2013 4:26:42 PM

Last Login: 11/8/2013 3:30:27 PM
I've been using the Sportdog SD-425 with my lab and have been real pleased with it, 1/4 mile is plenty for me.  The Deltas are nice but I prefer the SD transmitter.
Post #773784
 Posted 9/11/2013 9:11:57 AM

Last Login: 8/27/2014 9:35:57 PM
TriTronics makes the best e-collar out there. They set the standard. Everyone else is playing for second place.
Post #773790
 Posted 9/11/2013 11:34:18 AM

Last Login: 9 hours ago
tri tronics isnt even a company anymore. A lot of older dog trainers love to run tri tronics cause they were the best but they havent come out with anything new in like the past 10 years. Thats why they went out of business and garmin bought em out. Now you have a maps company owning a dog company that doesnt know anything about it. Sport dog 425 is the most popular model out there. 500 yard range with 7 levels of stimulation and now have vibrate and tone. Bought a 400 collar about 7 years ago and have never regretted it. Biggest thing about sport dog is the customer service, you wont find it better. Broke some tongs a couple years back and they sent me new ones for free. Saved me only 7 bucks which isnt the point. They are a company run by hunters. Nice thing about the 1825 which i just upgraded to isnt necessarily the 1 mile range cause no duck dog is gonna need that but once you get off the check chord you can use low medium or high settings with help with training the dog to put pressure on but not giving to much shock

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is conservation's greatest asset."

"Wider chokes, thicker gumbos"
Post #773792
 Posted 9/12/2013 2:52:48 AM

Last Login: 9/12/2013 2:56:07 AM
How is the battery life on the 1825? That's the one big unknown to me is I don't want to charge it all the time.
Post #773797
 Posted 9/13/2013 9:44:57 PM

Last Login: 2/28/2014 10:51:01 AM
I agree with the Sport Dog post. I too had bought a 400 system and loved it and just recently upgraded to the 425 system for my dogs simply because I prefer the toggle switch to switch between dogs. Battery life is anywhere from 40-80 hours depending on how much you need to use it. I go a couple months now without having to recharge mine because I hardly use it.
Post #773830
 Posted 10/2/2013 1:57:53 PM

Last Login: 11/4/2013 2:01:21 PM
Someone else asked the exact same question on another forum I'm on a few days ago, so I'll provide my answer here again.

I've got a ~14 month old Weimaraner named Remy and we went with the Dogtra 2500 T&B collar:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-2500.html

Remy's primarily going to be an upland dog, so it might be different for a waterfowl retriever, but so far I've yet to find anything I don't like about this collar. Remy's getting much better with voice commands now, but the last time I had him out in the field (dove opener) he got excited and went running after a deer he saw. A quick tap of the tone button and he stopped right away.

I really like the tone settings on the this one, too. It's got two different tone types - nice feature, but not sure how handy it is yet since we've pretty much only stuck with one of the sounds (the higher pitched one). It can be used as a standard locator (tap the button to locate your dog when he's out of sight), it can be set to always emit a tone until the dog stops moving (ostensibly stopped because he's pointing, but perhaps also because something's wrong I suppose), or it can be set to emit a tone only when the dog has stopped (again for the same reasons). And the thing is wicked loud. I bet you could hear it from the moon. (Pro tip: don't test the tone in a car while driving down the road - It's painfully loud.) The nick settings are really good, too - goes from 1-127. During training (we sent Remy to a professional trainer in Isle, MN) the trainer used the 40-45 range. I've not needed to go above 50 when working with Remy in our backyard (chasing birds in the backyard - I don't want him to get used to busting into birds since I want him to learn to point).

It seems to be fairly comfortable for the dog, too. Remy's worn it for 3 hours at a pop without trying to fiddle with it. Seems to have a long battery life, too. I forgot to charge it between field trips and it was fine. And it's weatherproof and waterproof. Remy's been in several ponds with this collar and it keep working like a charm. It says it's got a range of 1 mile, but I've not yet tested that since I like to keep Remy within 25 yards or so in order to keep him from flushing birds too far out.

It's not the cheapest one you can find, but I absolutely wanted to go for quality on this purchase since Remy's my first bird dog - if I'm spending all this money on him and the training, seems silly to skimp out on a good e-collar for the field. I saved quite a few shekels ($114) by buying at Cabelas where I could use some of my existing Club points. But I always try to buy from gundogsupply.com if the prices/costs are the same.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
Post #774073
 Posted 12/2/2013 1:18:54 PM

Last Login: 2/22/2014 11:41:06 AM
tritronics was bought by Garmin..
Post #774995