Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Hunting from a Kayak?

Posted 7/1/2013 7:29:04 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/11/2014 1:25:01 PM
I live out on Long island and am thinking about purchasing a kayak to get to a few spots and also to hunt from.  Anyone have any advice or can share some experiences? Ive been looking and i think Im going to go with a Hobie Mirage drive.  Either the pro angler or outback.  Any input would be great. Thanks 
Post #773109
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 7/13/2013 8:26:34 PM

Last Login: 9/24/2014 7:15:42 PM
a friend of mine hunts from his kayak and it works good for him. he is just trying to figure out how to hook a trolling motor up to it
Post #773181
 Posted 7/18/2013 7:38:45 PM

Last Login: 7/17/2014 9:47:48 AM
I just got a Native kayak for fishing and hunting, it seems to be pretty stable, but haven't gotten to shoot out of it yet. What do you want to know about, I don't know much but maybe I can help
Post #773245
 Posted 7/19/2013 8:23:50 PM

Last Login: 7/28/2013 5:40:12 PM
Kayaks seem to be okay during early season, when the weather and water are warmer.  Remember, if you use it into November you will be wearing more clothes and probably waders and a coat.  You will also be way closer to colder water.  They are not conducive to a quick exit either.  I don't know where you live, but if it's up North like me, you might want to think twice about when and where to use it.  I looked at one that I have, I was ready to trick it out with camo and a rack for the gun (was going to use those Y brackets for ATVs), but then realized that it was tough enough for me to get out of with shorts on - I'm not the most flexible fellow around - I couldn't imagine trying it with neoprene waders with 1200 gram thinsulate AKA Moon Boots.  Just be safe.

Rob
Post #773256
 Posted 7/20/2013 8:21:04 AM

Last Login: 7/17/2014 9:47:48 AM
Rob, that's why I got a sit on top. It's easy to get in and out of and If it does flip it's self draining, where if you flip a Sit in Kayak It fills with water.
Post #773258
 Posted 7/25/2013 8:03:59 PM

Last Login: 4 hours ago
I hunt from an old town 14' pathfinder canoe.  I sit in the bow seat facing the stern using a kayak paddle.  leave me enough from for a couple dozen dekes.  a gun bag, shell bag, blind bag.  once i set my dekes I then use my canoe as a layout blind if I'm hunting a really wet marsh.  works great and I don't need a boat ramp thus shortening my trips to the areas I like to hunt.  if I'm taking a buddy along he can sit on the bow seat and keep control of his dog while we're moving to our setup.
Post #773293
 Posted 8/4/2013 10:52:11 AM

Last Login: 9/11/2014 1:25:01 PM
Very good points SpongeRob.  Ive looked around for a while now and you're definitely right ,Trout&Duck , the sit on top is the way to go.  I've seen a few videos online and it just looks like a good time on the back rivers and waterways on the island.  The Hobie Mirage drive kayaks have quite a price tag but its tough to beat a kayak you can operate hands free.  Thank you guys for your inputs.  I guess i dont have any real specific questions as of yet.  I am just looking for any pointers trying to limit the growing pains of a brand new hunting method.  
Post #773368
 Posted 8/16/2013 11:48:55 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:14:28 AM
My buddy and I started going the kayak route a few years ago and haven't looked back. You can get further than both the walk-in hunter and boat hunter. We have found it less of a hassle to load up a couple of kayaks in the back of the truck than back in a boat that ends up getting hung up on logs and in shallow water, etc. I got the cheap Pelican from Academy. My buddy spent the money for a quality brand and is twenty years older than me but takes about half as many paddles to get twice as far! We take them both on the lake or into the timber...what's funny about this picture is the boat and trailer in the background.
Edit-We have never actually hunted from them, but use them to get to the remote areas and then throw camo canvas over them.

"Old school hunters used to say...if you can't land 'em on the water, you're not a duck hunter."
Little Debbie Pro-staff
Google Earth Pro-staff
"No members currently viewing this forum!"

Edited: 8/16/2013 11:50:58 PM by arkansashogs18
Post #773497
 Posted 8/21/2013 2:03:53 AM

Last Login: 11/14/2013 8:39:04 PM
I've shot a bunch of ducks from a kayak. Probably not the smartest thing to hunt out of in cold weather but I'm guilty of it. The bigger the cock pit opening the better off you will be. Get the widest one you can find for obvious stability reasons. Of course with a kayak you will have to go really minimalist unless you have a floating sled to pull behind you. If money isn't an issue look at some of the small boats made for duck hunting such as 4 Rivers, Mo Marsh, etc. They WILL NOT track as good as a kayak can but they are still manageable over a short distance even though most people will say they aren't. For longer trips a trolling motor is key.

Hope this Helps give you an idea for some option of what to do.
Post #773545
 Posted 8/27/2013 1:07:50 AM

Last Login: 9/4/2013 1:03:54 AM
I hunted out of an 11' poke boat (28#)  for about 10 years (even with a dog) and usually with a buddy to haul all the other stuff in another poke boat. max paddle was 1.5 miles. Average paddle about 3/4 mile. I do hunt where it rarely freezes, usually do not shoot from the kayak, rather use it to get to a good spot of small water across the big water. No motors are allowed where I hunt and rowing and hiding a jon boat  was no fun on a ducky day. Started hunting by myself (with the dog), so I bought an old town predator with a large open cockpit (about 40#). After the first season I outfitted it with a rowing unit from springcreek outfitters, much better to move it and all the gear the boat will hold in any kind of wind. Used that setup for about 10 more years. 5 years ago bought a 4 rivers layout boat (110#), outfitted it with oarlocks and now use it most often. It has a popup blind and you can shoot from it, can carry more gear than I need and works better as I get older. I plan to do more kayak hunting this year tho, as I miss the minimalist days. The biggest drawback to the layout boat is the need for a launch ramp. If the water is not readily truck accessible I can pack or roll the kayak to it on most occasions.Good luck with your hunting.
Post #773628