Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 6/18/2013 11:21:24 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8 hours ago
I have a 6mo. old lab female that whines in excitement when she anticipates things such as being let out of her crate or being fed.

She does not whine at the line waiting to be sent for a retrieve, thank goodness, and is not a hyper dog in any other way.

I have tried many things that have worked on other dogs in the past but I just can't seem to get through to her.

She is a smart dog otherwise, very obedient and a gung-ho retriever. We have started force fetch and she is catching on quickly.

When I have her on the "chain gang" waiting for her turn to run she will whine the whole time I am working other dogs even after she has already run.

i went a 2 week stretch about a month ago just leaving her on the chain while I worked other dogs and never letting her off. She never shut up once.

Yet I can chain her and a couple other dogs in my yard for 2 or 3 hours and she never makes a peep because there is no anticipation of maybe getting a retrieve.

Any ideas on how to curb this?

I do not use an E collar. I do have bark collars but they will not work on this whining.
Post #773000
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 6/27/2013 12:42:49 PM

Last Login: 1/17/2014 9:17:51 AM
Ducker, I've been thinking on this a while.  If she is staked out by herself does she whine?  Can you take her back far enough to where she doesn't anticipate that she is going to get to run?  I doubt that is possible if you're out training because there is generally only so much realestate.  Thought is that if you can get her far enough way where she thinks she's not going to run, she'll relax and not whine.  When or if there is such a distance you can watch from there for a while and then move up.  If she whines move back immediately.  I think she will come to the conclusion "on her own" that whinning doesn't get her where she wants to be.

I don't think the chain gang for 2 weeks worked because you could probably never get her to be quiet for any of the other working dogs and then be able to reward the behavior with a retrieve.  Gut feel is that if you don't get this under control now, it will probably work it's way to the line as well.  If I read between the lines, that is what your afraid of besides the irratation of the noise right now.

MM
Post #773072
 Posted 6/28/2013 7:41:12 AM

Thanks for the response MM. Since I started ff with her, about 2 weeks ago, I have taken her with me almost every day to both my pattern field and to the areas I use for  marking and other drills. I have left her staked out away from the other dogs while I work them and, when I am done for the session, I put her through a force fetch session on the tailgate of my truck before loading the dogs up and heading home. Since she is, understandably, not nearly as excited about this as she is about marking, her whining has decreased measurably. I also have put her on a completely different feeding and airing schedule from the rest of the kennel and this has helped with the screaming during feeding time because, I think, she finally understands that she is not getting fed with the rest of the dogs. About every 3-4 days I will suprise her and feed her with the rest of the pack.

i only hope that, once she is through force fetch and her regular training resumes, she will continue to keep quiet. If her noise level immediately starts to rise again I will try your sound advice.

Thanks again.
Post #773074
 Posted 6/28/2013 10:27:56 AM

I like the feeding idea.  Nice!

When you resume marks with her, are you going to put her in with the rest of the gang right away or leave her staked out separately to start with?
Post #773075
 Posted 6/28/2013 12:31:34 PM

I'll leave her separate for the first several days and only throw her a couple marks while working on some OB. try to keep her excitement level down.
Post #773079
 Posted 6/28/2013 1:00:55 PM

I think that is wise.  Sounds like you have a good plan!
Post #773082
 Posted 6/28/2013 3:32:06 PM

Hope so. She has come a long way in a couple weeks. hate to see her backslide.

Thanks again.
Post #773085