Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

New to forum & new property to transform

Posted 5/16/2013 10:42:44 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/8/2013 11:22:33 AM
Hello. I sold my old farm back in 2011 and finally found the perfect property I was looking for in NE Ohio, Ashtabula County this spring. The property is located in the waterfowl-rich triangle of Lake Erie, Pymatuning Lake and Mosquito Creek Reservoir. I have plenty of experience with food plots and habitat management for deer & turkey but the waterfowl management knowledge is a work in progress.

This property is basically flat, with a few potholes (probably seasonal) that I have seen being used by ducks in the short time I've owned it. I have 5 acres set aside for this project and I plan to add a dugout pond and some type of levee system to allow crops to be planted and flooded. I'm handy with excavators and tractors and will be doing most of the work myself with the help of some family and friends.

The 5 acres is a blank canvas. I chose this area because it is in the remote north end of my property away from roads and the future cabin plus the 5 acres was heavily timbered a few years ago which will make it easier to maneuver machinery around. I'd be interested in hearing your ideas for layout, funding, etc. as well as any books or videos you can recommend that I can learn from. I am no millionaire but I am fortunate to have a small monthly budget to dedicate to the project. I am in no hurry either as I have more time than money. I would appreciate your input.

-Brian
Post #772763
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 5/20/2013 7:10:51 PM

Last Login: 2/20/2014 8:58:07 PM
I spend a lot of time in fields near to you, and from what I have seen the birds are attracted to areas that have both water and short grass nearby. Most of the bodies of water are about a square acre, with the grass surrounding it so that the birds have a place to go to for food. As for the crops, I have seen most success with them some distance away, so that the birds have somewhere to fly to if threatened. Perhaps corn on the other side of your property. Hope this helps
Post #772779
 Posted 5/20/2013 8:35:40 PM

Last Login: 1 hour ago
I think you grabbed a hold of one of the older threads I was involved with a couple years back.  i'd be happy to talk wetland projects with you. 

i'll be back on soon.

swamper

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #772781