Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

New to duck hunting

Posted 4/13/2013 9:17:30 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/20/2013 9:02:12 AM
While I have been hunting since i was a little guy. I got my first chance to duck hunt last season. Unfortuneatly My mentor may have to move do to job cuts in the area. Since that day that is all I can think about. So I have been reading and watching videos. What ever i can do to learn about water fowl and the sport.  I just have seen so much out there were it seems like there is a chest puffing contest. Between guy it hard to decipher whats good info and whats not. Can anyone kind of steer me in a direction for quality information. 
Post #772572
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 4/14/2013 11:16:56 AM

Last Login: 9/7/2014 3:32:25 PM
its all really trial and error.some guys say buy the best looking decoys you can afford.others say buy cheap.same with ammo and choke tubes.ive hunted duck as a kid with my dad and after a break from duck hunting i started back up a few yrs ago.its all about learning everytime your out.im not a rich person and me and my dad have done very well over the yrs with cheap ammo, cheap decoys, and cheap calls.pattern you shot gun work on your calling, and one thing that helps your spread is a jerkcord cheaper then a mojo.most people will also say you need a dog.dogs are great and if you can afford one go for it.i make shots on ducks that are right over decoys so i know they will fall were i can get them but that also means i pass up on some shots that might couse me to lose the duck.if your looking to buy your own stuff now is the time to buy in the off season.
Post #772577
 Posted 4/14/2013 5:32:49 PM

Last Login: 5 hours ago
BDhunter (4/14/2013)
its all really trial and error.some guys say buy the best looking decoys you can afford.others say buy cheap.same with ammo and choke tubes.ive hunted duck as a kid with my dad and after a break from duck hunting i started back up a few yrs ago.its all about learning everytime your out.im not a rich person and me and my dad have done very well over the yrs with cheap ammo, cheap decoys, and cheap calls.pattern you shot gun work on your calling, and one thing that helps your spread is a jerkcord cheaper then a mojo.most people will also say you need a dog.dogs are great and if you can afford one go for it.i make shots on ducks that are right over decoys so i know they will fall were i can get them but that also means i pass up on some shots that might couse me to lose the duck.if your looking to buy your own stuff now is the time to buy in the off season.

this is all very good advise.  as for chest puffing.  that comes with every "sport".  you're smart enough to know the difference between a sincere hunting partner and the "other" types.  if they've "been there and done that", move on.

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #772580
 Posted 4/20/2013 9:06:28 AM

Last Login: 4/20/2013 9:02:12 AM
Thanks for your replies swamper and bdhunter. 
Post #772620
 Posted 4/20/2013 4:47:48 PM

Last Login: 5/12/2014 6:57:03 PM
I would spend time learning to blow your calls. Invest in a good single Reed and a good double reed. I think it's worth spending some money in nice decoys. I like final approach and green head gear. Spend time looking at the public land your state offers. The rest comes with trial and error. Keep the sun at your back helps to!! There alot of good guys on here. And there are some that like to say there way is the only and best way, you kinda just have to pick and choose what makes sense to you. 
Post #772622
 Posted 6/7/2013 5:57:45 AM

Last Login: 9/10/2014 6:12:03 AM
I would recommend focusing on calling, and some off season shooting. The guys you hunt with can teach you about how to spread your decoys, and you can build your stock pile over years. I have a duck and goose call in my truck, and I learned to call by practicing on my 35 minute commute. It's very self fulfilling when your calls start sounding like what you hear on TV. Some one once told me, if you just practice for 15 minutes a day, for five days a week, that's over an hour a week, which is plenty of time, without getting frustrated with yourself. Some off season sporting clays (or trap and skeet) will keep your shooting skills on par, and isn't super expensive.
Post #772932