Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 2/18/2013 2:30:30 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/24/2013 12:48:22 AM
I am new to the waterfowl side of the hunting area and am wondering what is the best boat to take out? I am looking for one that can hold about 3 ppl and is cost effective (less than 3k)?
Post #772070
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 2/25/2013 5:41:22 PM

Last Login: 3/25/2014 1:08:47 PM
Need more info to be able to offer any opinions.  What kind of water are you thinking about hunting:  small stream, small lakes/ponds, big river, big lakes, shallow sloughs, flooded timber?  It has a lot of bearing on what kind of boat & motor combo would work for you.  What part of the country are you from?  What works for me and the hunting I do may well not work for you.
Post #772140
 Posted 3/21/2013 11:41:02 PM

Last Login: 10/8/2013 10:45:53 AM
I would suggest (and this is my personal opinion here) something in the 14-16' range.  I also suggest nothing less than a 48" bottom for the stability, especially when hunting 3 people.  Not only does it add stability on rivers and big creeks, but the extra room is nice for gear and dogs, etc...  As far as hull design, it's completely up to you.  I like a mod-v or semi-v over a flat bottom, but again, that's what works best for where I hunt.

Hope this helped!

"Aw S#*T!!!  I forgot to reload!"
Post #772374
 Posted 4/5/2013 2:32:18 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:11:41 AM
AFduck (2/18/2013)
I am new to the waterfowl side of the hunting area and am wondering what is the best boat to take out? I am looking for one that can hold about 3 ppl and is cost effective (less than 3k)?

1) You get what you pay for. Always remember that.
2) Get something safe and big enough to suit your needs. ie can hold the decoys, weight, and the size water you hunt.

If you can find a used Carolina Skiff, or Jones Brother Skiff - that's ideal (for me anyhow). Get something big enough to hold your load. And something big enough for the water you hunt (think worst weather scenario). Sinking a boat in ice cold water, is trouble. And your life is not worth skimping on to save a few bucks.

Carrying 3 people, dekes, dog, gear = probably a decent sized boat.
3K might be a little light... might wanna consider saving some more funds, or maybe you'll luck up and find a sweet deal on a used boat to meet your needs.

Good luck,
T.

East Side Broteam - Life member.

"No, I don't own a suit and tie. I'm just a casual kinda guy" - Raymond
Post #772500