Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 9/16/2011 12:22:52 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/15/2012 12:38:25 PM
Tried hunting divers last year for our first time not much luck. Few birds and not sure about or spread. Anyone know a good source for hunting divers, especially spread layout?
Post #761143
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 11/25/2011 7:49:53 PM

Last Login: 7 hours ago
The best way to kill divers is big water, big spreads, and layout boats, in my opinion.  If you have a pretty decent size spread, and are in the right location, it can be a lot of fun.  It's a whole new animal.  I started doing it years ago and I absolutely love it.

A couple things...golden eye like to hang out with their own...if you have golden eye decoys, kind of keep them to themselves.  Same with bufflehead.  At least in my experience, they like to hang out with other buffleheads.  Depending on depth of the water you are hunting, you may need gang rigs in order to keep your decoys together.  Look into Rig Um Right....they have things like that made for diver hunting.

I use scaup and ringneck decoys as fillers for my spread...since they are the most common birds around here.  I'll kill all kinds of divers, so I have different species...but ringnecks, scaup, canvasbacks, ruddy ducks...they'll decoy to almost anything.  Just try and aquire a large amount of diver decoys, and that will help out a lot.

Alex  
Post #764069
 Posted 11/25/2011 8:38:09 PM

Last Login: 12/26/2013 7:09:26 PM
Alex Hilburn (11/25/2011)
The best way to kill divers is big water, big spreads, and layout boats, in my opinion.  If you have a pretty decent size spread, and are in the right location, it can be a lot of fun.  It's a whole new animal.  I started doing it years ago and I absolutely love it.

A couple things...golden eye like to hang out with their own...if you have golden eye decoys, kind of keep them to themselves.  Same with bufflehead.  At least in my experience, they like to hang out with other buffleheads.  Depending on depth of the water you are hunting, you may need gang rigs in order to keep your decoys together.  Look into Rig Um Right....they have things like that made for diver hunting.

I use scaup and ringneck decoys as fillers for my spread...since they are the most common birds around here.  I'll kill all kinds of divers, so I have different species...but ringnecks, scaup, canvasbacks, ruddy ducks...they'll decoy to almost anything.  Just try and aquire a large amount of diver decoys, and that will help out a lot.

Excellent info Alex. For us we use ringneck, scaup, bufflehead, and we also throw in some canvasbacks and redheads. We use gang rigs. We usually set the decoys in a "V" shape. Divers like to fly low into the back of the spread. Just like a puddle duck or goose spread, keep and open pocket-which is the middle of the "V". Hope this info helps!! Where do you hunt??
Ben Perez

Ben Perez
Burlington, NC
Avery Youth Field Staff
Lodge Creek Calls Pro Staff
Post #764071
 Posted 12/22/2011 4:24:29 PM

Last Login: 3/24/2012 9:13:16 PM
We hunt alot of rivers for divers and we use one real long line and lead it out into the river 150' and towards us we have about 5 dozen diver dekes. So from above the whole spread looks like a lollipop with the candy end being in our shooting zone. Now usually divers will fly up or down river hit that long leg and then fly right in to the kill zone.
Post #765004
 Posted 1/4/2012 12:14:00 PM

Last Login: 12/11/2014 4:39:43 AM
Go to North Dakota in early November.
Post #765476
 Posted 1/4/2012 12:14:49 PM

Last Login: 12/11/2014 4:39:43 AM
Go to North Dakota in early November. 
Post #765477
 Posted 7/4/2012 9:19:52 AM

Last Login: 7/4/2012 9:29:44 AM
I agree with much of whats said on this topic. I concur that certain species of divers, mainly for myself Common Goldeneyes like to be somewhat segregated from the other flock of birds. Ive placed 6-12 goldeneye dekes off to one side or another for the past few years with much better success. I basically hunt divers like Alex, however im not always on the biggest of waters in my area. Minnesota doesnt have too many big lakes(where I hunt) so I scout, then hunt accordingly. Ring Neck and Bluebills are cheap filler decoys and in Minnesota we have plenty as migration starts.

As for the "V" pattern, id scrap that. In my years I havent seen many ducks in "V" patterns on water. Ive used the old school "J" hook with success, as well as stacking decoys close together on very windy days or spreading them out on less windy days an running tag lines. take a scouting trip (fall or spring if able) an look at how divers flock/raft on lakes. Then try to mimic this later afield. For me it all falls on number of decoys, which help with visability. I only run around 50-100 decoys, but like I said im not hunting big lakes, just larger sloughs.

Make the decoys visiable and natural looking and the birds will do the rest with little to no calling at times.
Post #768787
 Posted 1/16/2013 9:37:54 AM

Last Login: 1/16/2013 5:41:52 PM
All of these are great ways of hunting divers with proven success. My layout is 4 dozen dekes of mostly blue bill (most populated in my area) cans and scoter. I have these set up on rig em right gang lines (easy with 2 men but possible with one) so I can store all my decoys in one rig em right DP3 bag and clip them on. I also set up 6-12 buffleheads on the sides of the spreads. That has always worked for me and I can get my dekes out fast and don't have to unwind and worry about how much line I put out on every decoy. That is just what I have always done and have always had success. 

not an obsession or just a passion, but a way of life
Post #771616