Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 1/12/2011 11:40:33 AM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/26/2013 8:30:48 AM
We have all have the grilled quail, itailian style, bacon wrapped, etc. IT's ALL GREAT!!!!!

But I need an easy in door style oven recipe for quail. Keep in mind these are whole birds , cleaned with NO skin left on ( quail preserve style cleaning ) to give the oven roast crispy, crunchies you get from conventional ( chicken style ) oven cooking.

Any help?

"There is plenty of room in this world for all of Gods creatures....Right next to the mashed potatoes."

Tbone

Post #752610
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 1/14/2011 1:23:11 PM

Last Login: 8/9/2013 6:54:57 PM
deep fry em
Post #752780
 Posted 1/19/2011 9:44:22 AM

Last Login: 5/11/2012 10:22:41 AM
went to kansas and hunted quail on a controlled hunt came home with 37 and cooked them a couple different ways..... best way is to fry them with some white gravy...... good ole shake n bake is good if you would rather bake em 

NOBODY EVER EAT 5O EGGS

Post #753117
 Posted 1/25/2011 9:05:10 PM

Last Login: 3/14/2011 9:13:11 PM
Pan roast the little bastards.

Get you some:

Thyme
Garlic
Butter
Salt
pepper
olive oil

Preheat your oven to about 400 F

Take your cast iron skillet (if your hunter I know you have one)

Lay a strip of bacon (cut to size) along the breast of your quail and tress your bird with chef string (100% cotton twine will do just fine), stick some thyme sprigs (fresh) inside your bird, soften some butter and coat the outside of your bird with it, season with salt and pepper

Drizzle some olive oil in the skillet to where its coated with a thin layer, get your skillet hot, then put your quail in breast side UP. Keep it in the pan for a few minutes and let the bottom of the bird carmelize. Take it off the burner, keep it in the pan and then straight to the oven. Keep an eye on it as quail aren't very good when over done. The bacon will help keep it from drying out. After about 5-10 minutes, take it out, baste it, then back in the oven for another 15 minutes or so. Take it out of the oven, and put it on a plate breast side down (flip it over) so that all those juices can run back down into the meat. Let it rest for a few minutes.

Now for your garnish make you a gremolata, heres how:

Get you an handful of parsley and chop it up pretty finely
Take the zest of two lemons (grated of course)
2 tablespoons of capers

Mix it all together, season with salt and pepper, then lay it on the plate, stick your quail on top of it and drizzle some olive oil over it. Presto, an easy gourmet meal that's cheap and easy.

Of course if you have a 12" cast iron you can fix 4 or 5 at one time and feed two people as long as you have some decent sides.

Try it out man, my ole' lady loves it. We pretty much only eat game birds and I hate to type but I got a bunch more recipes.

Frying is one way to go as well. If you want I'll post a great (well I think its great, you may not) double batter recipe.

Post #753863
 Posted 2/3/2011 11:52:14 AM

Last Login: 2/26/2013 8:30:48 AM
TX911 1/25/2011
Pan roast the little bastards.

Frying is one way to go as well. If you want I'll post a great (well I think its great, you may not) double batter recipe.

Hell yea!!! Awesome...I'm going to give it try this weekend

"There is plenty of room in this world for all of Gods creatures....Right next to the mashed potatoes."

Tbone

Post #754493
 Posted 3/4/2011 10:30:35 PM

Last Login: 3/14/2011 9:13:11 PM
I just wanted to revisit this thread and lay this out there for quail, pheasant, and chukar: I know it's a bitch, but instead of undressing the birds totally (no skin), take a few minutes and pluck them instead. I know all those birds have thin skin and its tougher to do than with a chicken, but its well worth it.

Another game bird recipe:

Smoked pheasant with grandma's mashed potatoes:

5-6 cups cold water
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp All- spice(don't worry, you can find it at any grocery store)
2 tbsp honey (local if you can find some)
2 tsp soy sauce
1 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Mix up everything but the honey and soy sauce and soak your bird(s) in it for at least 5 hours. Overnight is good too.  Take your pheasant and set him out on some paper towels and let him come to room temperature and dry a bit.  Take you some little slats of butter and gently place them under the skin of the bird. This can get a little tricky because the skin is so thin on a pheasant, but trust me, you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.  Pick out your favorite wood to put in the smoker (fruit wood is great for this) or you can use a grill with some smoker chips.  You wanna try to keep the temp at about 200 degrees F and smoke it for about 2-3 hours making sure to have a pan of chicken broth underneath your bird, you can use beer here too if you like.  Oh, and mix up that honey and soy sauce together and baste your bird with it while its smoking every so often.  Here again bacon can be used to line the breast while your smoking your bird to help keep it from drying (plus everything's better with bacon right?)  Go heavy on your chips if your using a grill for the last the hour, add some fresh ones. Another easy recipe that is delicious (I think.)

As for the mashed potatoes, boil you up some potatoes until they're soft and a fork easily slides into them. Leave the skins on.  Now, drain your potatoes and add equal parts chicken broth and whole milk and keep mixing until you get your own desired consistency. Add some butter to them and mix some more and throw in your salt and pepper to taste. Now for the last ingredient, take about a tablespoon of bacon fat (You know you got a coffee cup full of it next to the stove...if you're a southerner at least) and toss it in there and start mixing until it has melted. 

whip you up a salad how you like it and you've got a meal fit for royalty if you ask me.  To top it off, pheasant is a very healthy bird to eat. The potatoes? Not so much, but hey, if you can't splurge a bit and enjoy life then why bother getting out of bed in the morning?
Post #755668