Collar choice (safety issue)
Print Topic | Close Window

By Windjammer - 5/15/2013 8:25:30 AM

Need some advice lab normally wears a collar with a blastic buckle. However, yesterday while outside on his run in the backyard, he "bolted" (my wife saw it happen, I was at work), and literally snapped the plastic, becoming free in the process. My initial though was to buy one with a metal buckle- one that wouldn't break. But, is it worth being able to break free, should he get caught up in something? Thanks for your advice in advance.

By Tim Price - 5/17/2013 3:48:14 PM
I'm not  a big fan of leaving dogs out unsupervised.  Recipe for something bad to happen. If you are going to use a collar I would advise a Coastal 1" Double Ply nylon collar. They have a metal buckle and are not breaking.
By duckhunt - 5/17/2013 8:31:52 PM
I use and have gotten some great collars from there. They have really good nylon with metal ring collars that they will rivet a name tag onto it for free.  I have had great luck with it holding up being wet every day, worth checking out.
By Windjammer - 5/18/2013 7:06:24 PM
Well, both posts answer my question. I appreciate the feedback.

By MossyMech - 6/18/2013 9:08:46 PM
Walmart had some nice ones with metal clips. They come in a generic camp, mossy oak or Realtree. here they run about 9 bucks.
By Rasman73 - 9/5/2013 11:00:01 AM
I get all my equipment from Lion Country Supply.  It is inexpensive and top quality.
By krazybronco2 - 10/2/2013 2:21:07 PM
personally i dont keep a collar on my dog to many bad things can happen with a collar on. the only time she has a collar on is when i go to the vet but other than that never has a collar on if i go for a walk with her she and put her on a slip lead.
By Gun Dawg - 10/2/2013 3:34:23 PM
I use the center ring collar like this The center ring will allow the dog to back out of the collar if it gets hung up. Tuff, Waterproof and do not hold odor.