Browning, Beretta, or Benelli?

http://il.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic772063.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Spartan0311 - 2/17/2013 7:37:13 PM
Hey everyone, wondering if you have any advice on a new duck gun.  Looking hard at the Browning Maxus and A5 and the Beretta A400.  I'm also going to look at the Benelli Super Vinci and the SBE II, maybe the Winchester Super X3 (I shoot an SX2 now).  I need something the consistently cycles the lighter loads but can handle the big boys without too much added recoil or muzzle jump.  Anyone shot more than one of these and have an opinion?  Also, if anyone has any input on going with a gas or inertia gun, that'd be great too.  Thanks.
By ESutter - 2/18/2013 8:35:04 AM
I've shot both the Maxus and the Super Vinci. Both good guns, can't speak to the others.  I've chosen to shoot Maxus for the past two seasons.
By flannel - 2/19/2013 2:15:53 PM
All good except the Benellis often fail with light loads. Give it a Google and you will see lots of problems with these guns cycling light trap or skeet loads, good luck!
By JTFrisque - 2/19/2013 10:18:29 PM
love my benelli. Sometimes it wont shoot my 7/8 oz reloads that are supper light but not many ppl shoot those. Shoots my 1 oz loads just fine
By Spartan0311 - 2/20/2013 4:12:06 PM
I checked out that info on the Benelli's failing to cycle lighter loads.  I don't think I'd shoot anything less than 1 oz loads, it will primarily be a duck gun anyway.  How's the muzzle jump on these?  Since it's recoil operated, is it a noticeable difference?  Also, I've heard of some people having problems with the Maxus cycling in fowl weather (where most duck hunting takes place), anyone had these issues?  Thanks!
By Amish Amy - 2/21/2013 4:11:43 AM
neither my my sons Maxus or mine has ever failed to cycle..   I have had issues with my trigger been back to Browning several times.  hope its better now.  Great gun otherwise though.  Recoil is minimal  compared to the others I've shot. 
By brmotorhead - 2/22/2013 9:07:36 PM
shoulder them all. best advise i can give you. make your own opinion, if possible find someone who will not only let you shoulder one, but cycle a few rounds through it. I shouldered 5 different semis before i bought the benelli, simply because it came to my shoulder perfectly everytime. my line of sight was always straight down the barrel. this was before the maxus came out. since then i have shouldered and shot the maxus and it shoulders flawlessly for me. I could never retire or go without my benelli, but if i were to every buy a maxus i think i would have to flip a coin over which gun i would use every time i went hunting!
By NJ217bands - 2/23/2013 11:42:17 AM
My SBE II kicks more than my Beretta Xtrema II but malfunctions with 1 1/4 oz non-toxic loads too much. The Beretta malfunctions in very cold weather.
By Simar35 - 2/23/2013 7:29:18 PM
I have a Maxus and a A400. The Maxus falfunctioned 3 times this past season while the A400 performed flawlessly. I also use the A400 to shoot local sporting clay shoots and it has never failed to cycle through roughly 5,000 shells so far. I clean both guns very regularly. The A400 also has less recoil (probably due to the kick-off). If you're going to spend the money on a high end duck gun, no doubt the A400 is the way to go.
By Spartan0311 - 2/27/2013 7:42:06 AM
The A400 seems to be in a class of it's own - technology wise and price wise - but if the gun really is that much better, then I think it'd be worth it.  I just don't want to spend the extra few hundred for only minor differences.  Thanks for the info.