Duck Fajitas

http://www.ducksunlimited.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic763626.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By River Rat - 11/15/2011 7:26:34 AM
Found a duck fajita recipe on the DU website and tried it last night. Needless to say I ended up taking my old lady OUT for dinner! It was horrible. Im looking for different ways to cook up ducks and looking for help. Does anybody have any good recipes? Fajita recipes?
By Army of Dad - 11/15/2011 7:48:36 AM
I tried duck fajitas once.  It was a blue bill and I marinated it in italian dressing for over 24 hours(this is how i make my chicken fajitas).  It was ok, though my wife hated it.  She doesn't enjoy duck any way I have cooked it so far.  The closest I ever came was slcing the breasts really thin, breading them and frying them.  Serve with A1 and the well done duck kind of tastes like steak.

I usually bacon wrap the breasts and share with people who can appreciate them. My 17 YO step-son loves bacon wrapped duck and dove breasts, so at least I have at least one other person who likes them in the house.

I am thinking of trying the smoked/pulled duck recipe from DU the next time I get a mallard.
By River Rat - 11/15/2011 8:22:56 AM
I saw the pulled duck sandwich with coleslaw recipe. I have a huge smoker and next group of ducks Im going to leave hole and try it. 

Found a Mississippi shrimp and duck skewer over wild rice recipe that my fiance was actually impressed by. That may be the winner. Shes a trooper and keeps at least trying my odd recipes for all the critters I harvest!
By HoosierHonkerNut - 12/1/2011 12:57:24 PM
When your making the fajitas (goose or duck), I first season the the breasts with liquid smoke (mesquite) and mrs. dashs smoky chipotle.  Leave em in the fridge for 12-24 hrs. After the intial marinade, dice up onions, peppers (bell, jalapeno, etc.) and put them with the meat in large bowl/dish.  Cover in orange juice. (Many restaraunts use OJ for their fajitas.)  Allow another 12-24 hrs. (Whichever you prefer)  Take out meat, slice in 1/2" cook to medium at most. No more.  Wrap meat in foil to keep warm and fry up the veggies quickly. Toss together and serve with lettuce, cheese, salso, sour cream, etc.  I have made these several times and everyone has absolutely loved them.  Just don't over cook it.  This is when the bad game taste comes in.

P.S.- Brine all waterfowl for a couple hours before beginning any preparation.  Also, do not skimp on marinade time.  This is what gives the meat "good" flavor when cooked.  Good luck!
By Amish Amy - 12/2/2011 4:44:05 AM
HA Ha LOL when I read it.  I started brining the birds with skin on then roasting them in a hot oven or on a hot grill with seasoning and they're great.  I've since started severeringthe breast taking the breast out whole like you would buy a turkey breast in a store  and did them the same way.  Brining is the key as well as cooking them so that they are not overdone .
By Kita''sdad - 2/21/2012 6:05:32 PM
Fajitas is one of my favorite ways to eat duck. I start out by soaking the breasts in milk that I season with chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin for at least 8 hours. I don't measure anything, just eyeball it, so I can't help you there.  I cut the meat into either strips or cubes and season with the same seasonings when I fry it. Like others have said, do not over cook those pieces. In a separate pan I fry peppers, onions, and tomatoes with a very light coating of the same seasonings. I then layer them in a tortilla with whatever other toppings I choose, usually guac, sour cream, cheese and salsa. The best part is, if I get a bad tasting bird I can just add more toppings and eat the bird anyway. 
By alloutwar13 - 2/22/2012 6:11:37 PM
I make duck fajitas all the time. first breast out your birds. 2nd soak them in salt water for 36 hours. then marinate in mexican seasoning and chiles to taste for 24hrs. fry in pan with mexican seasonings,peppers,onions, and hot sauce then serve with guac, salsa, sour cream etc.
By TexasPublicDucks - 8/22/2013 11:13:03 AM
Hey, I think that there have already been some great methods posted in reply to this question, but here's my two cents.  You can generally find a pretty good bottle of mesquite marinade at your local grocery store, if you don't have the time or inclination to make your own.  Last season we cut several breasts into long strips and soaked them in a marinade like this overnight before tossing them on the BBQ grill.  Rolled 'em up in flour tortillas with sauteed bell peppers and onions, and they were spectacular.

Just be sure that you don't cook them too long on the grill.  Thin strips will only take 2-3 minutes per side before they are overdone.

By MWNhorseshoe - 10/17/2013 1:11:12 PM
I usually prep my duck breasts for fajitas by slicing them in about a 1/4 inch slices. then I give them a salt brine bath for about 15 minutes. A salt brine draws the blood out, and the blood is mostly what gives wild game that twang. Peppers onions and fajita seasoning and you'll turn anybody into a duck eating fool. lol