3 1/2" vs. 3"

http://66.195.246.70/news-media/messageboards/Topic762710.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By mat0181 - 10/26/2011 9:57:09 AM
Typically i shoot the cheap Xpert HV 3" #4. But i noticed last year i was wounding alot of ducks and not getting clean kills.(Pintails and mallards mostly). I have a Remington 870 super mag and i was wondering if i could up the shot size and switch to 3 1/2" and get better results. I'm not a great shot so i dont want to spend alot on shells. i was looking at trying to get Xpert HV 3 1/2" #3.

P.S. i know i need to pattern my gun to really understand whats going on im just posting this to see what kind of loads other people prefer and to find out if i would be wasting my time and money on 3 1/2" shells.
By texas yankee - 10/26/2011 10:49:22 AM
First thing is pattern your gun with a verity of ammo and chokes to see which gives you the best results. As far as shot size goes I have shot 2 3/4 #2 for big ducks and #4 shot for teal I may use a 3" shell for third shot only on ducks. I only use 3" and 3 1/2 shells with BB or BBB shot for geese and this depends on what the birds are doing and how they are coming into the decoys. Chokes are IC and Mod for all hunting of waterfowl.
By duckman91 - 10/26/2011 11:27:27 AM
I started shooting 3 inch BB and BBB at ducks this season (all I have around the house) and have noticed an improvement in the number of clean kills, especially when the shots are at the outer edge of my range.  Of course it could always be my shooting ability.  :D

The guys I hunt with all shoot 3.5 inch BBB Black Clouds out of their Benelli's and swear by it.  Give it a shot and see how it works. 
By Rinkor16 - 10/26/2011 2:36:18 PM
Last year I was using the 3" Xpert 2's with an improved choke and I was getting a lot of wounded ducks. So far this year I've used 3" Kent Fasteel 2's with a modified choke and I've been folding every single one. I patterned the Xpert's to the Kent's and there was a huge difference in the pattern with both the chokes. I'd recommend using something a little better than Xpert's because everyone I know that have used them have had somewhat the same pattern. My brother uses 3 1/2" Kent's and he loves it. He was using 3" Hevi Shot but he switched to 3 1/2" Kent's because they're cheaper and he was getting pretty much the same pattern.

Definitely go pattern your shotgun.
By Duckfanatic24 - 10/26/2011 3:24:04 PM
I shoot Black Cloud 3" #3's with my Vinci and love it. I only had 1 wounded the whole last season because I was using a LM Carlson choke and shot at a bird around 55-60 yrds. All other kills have not had to chase nor see then move a feather. I have noticed certain shells work better with certain shotguns along with certain choke tubes. 
By mat0181 - 10/27/2011 4:10:12 PM
thankyou all for the advice i think im gonna go pick up some kent faststeel and maybe another brand and pattern it.
By flannel - 10/27/2011 6:18:50 PM
mat0181 (10/26/2011)
Typically i shoot the cheap Xpert HV 3" #4. But i noticed last year i was wounding alot of ducks and not getting clean kills.(Pintails and mallards mostly). I have a Remington 870 super mag and i was wondering if i could up the shot size and switch to 3 1/2" and get better results. I'm not a great shot so i dont want to spend alot on shells. i was looking at trying to get Xpert HV 3 1/2" #3.

P.S. i know i need to pattern my gun to really understand whats going on im just posting this to see what kind of loads other people prefer and to find out if i would be wasting my time and money on 3 1/2" shells.

Try modified choke with #2's as this is the most common combination as it is good for an all around configuration. I shoot teal up through canada geese and have no problem killing either one. If you need 3 1/2" shells to kill ducks, you're either skybusting or need to spend more time practicing. Good luck.
By Texas-Kayak-Qwack-Smacker - 10/27/2011 6:35:11 PM
Honestly, all the people I know that use experts and do well, shoot close range, in your face type shots. I'm talking 20 yards or less. I shot them for a few seasons, but I noticed when I hunted more open areas were shots were longer, they didn't seem to have the gusto to get it done past 25 yards or so. After switching to a premium steel load, not only did I start stoning every bird I hit, my actual hit rate improved dramatically. Kent, Hevi-metal, Black cloud, Federal and Winchester premium, and Remington all seem to offer a pretty solid product. It really has a lot to do with what your gun likes and the situations you hunt in.

My marsh recipe is 870 w/ 28" barrel, mod choke, and 3" Black Cloud #3s

My timber recipe is the same but I back down to an IC choke

This of course doesn't mean that it's the right recipe for anyone else, but it's what works well for me. The true test is on the pattern board. It's like cooking gumbo. You can throw together anything and feed people but when you get your recipe right, there's alot more meat in the pot and you get praise and new friends real fast.
By Base - 10/28/2011 6:13:49 AM
Differnt strokes for differnt folks, I crippled alot of birds last year using kent and winchester hi V, I swiched  to BC and was amazed, folded almost every bird. aolt less cripples and a lot less shooting,  I spent more $ per box but shoot half as much, so i really didnt spend much more then normally. With all that said I picked up a case of blind-side, the early season I shot 23 ducks, burned up one box of shells (everything is the same except the ammo) and had 4 cripples.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.:)
By Joe Hunter - 10/30/2011 8:41:21 PM
mat -- I seriously doubt going to 3 1/2" shells will help your duck killin'.  Yes, you should pattern your gun/choke/load to optimize your effectiveness but if you can't kill'em with 3" shells it's not the shells!  It simply doesn't take a 3" or even a 3 1/2" load to effectively harvest ducks as long as you are using the right load, choke and pellet size for the distance and type of duck you are shooting.

If you are shooting small or decoying ducks the #4 steel pellet is fine but the #3 steel pellet is the pellet for all-around duck shooting, and if you are shooting only mallards that occasionally don't decoy close then the #2 steel pellet may be your best bet.

How do some of the more economical 12ga 3" steel duck loads perform?  Well, here are some pattern numbers from two of the more common low-priced 3" steel loads available (Xpert and Sportsman) when shot through my 870 (not supermag) so you can get an idea of what you might be getting from yours.

Patterns shot with a 12ga 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose w/ 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

12 GA 3" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD

1 1/4 OZ #3 STEEL (193 PELLETS) 1,400 FPS

40 YARDS

IC (.009" const.) / pattern 113 (59%)

Mod (.016" const.) / pattern 131 (68%)
Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 146 (76%)
Full (.037" const.) / pattern 150 (78%)

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER XPERT HI-VELOCITY STEEL LOAD

1 1/4 OZ #3 STEEL (195 PELLETS) 1,400 FPS

40 YARDS

IC (.009" const.) / pattern 109 (56%)

Mod (.016" const.) / pattern 124 (64%)
Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 131 (67%)
Full (.037" const.) / pattern 154 (79%)

First things first, I patterned two different factory flush modified Rem-chokes, one has .016" constriction and the other has .018" constriction as measured with a bore gauge.

As you can see from the pattern numbers, either of the two loads would be more than adequate on mallards out to 40 yards even with the most open choke (IC) tested. In other words, if you do your part and put the pattern on the front end of the duck, then the duck is dead!!!

Good luck.

By jcsanders79 - 11/1/2011 9:48:20 PM
If you want a 3.5" shell get a 10 gauge.  The 12 gauge isn't the best platform for the 3.5" shell and does not always pattern well with a 3.5" shell.
By M887 - 11/3/2011 5:23:57 AM
Spend the money, use black cloud ammo. For ducks out to around 50yd get a mid-range steel choke and #2's or #3's. I hate spending $60 on 2 boxes of shells but you shoot alot less shells, and put more orange feet up.
By mat0181 - 11/19/2011 5:54:54 PM
so i went and patterned my 870 and tested Xpert HV #4, Kent #4, and Kent #3(all 3"), at 30 yrds with a full choke and again at 25 yrds with a modified. it didnt seem that either load was overly superior to the other.  all loads had some worrisome holes in their pattern. however i t did seem as though the kent had a more condensed killzone pattern with some pretty bad hole around the enges. where the Xpert was more evenly spaced with a wider circle. i'm not exactly sure what to make of all of it but i've been using the kent 3" #3 this season with fairly good success. the only wounded bid i've had so far was a hooded merg last thursday. shot him twice and he took nearly 10 minutes to bleedout. when i picked him up looked like he had a gut shot the size of a .22. if anyone wants to see pics of my patterns post and ill put them up.

P.S. Thats my first Hooded and he lite the decoys, i was so nervous i was shaking. We don't see many hoodeds in north texas.
By RefugeRat - 12/27/2011 1:38:48 PM
mat0181 (10/26/2011)

Those shells are fine. You will be wasting your time and money. Work on the factors to kill birds close, and that will help more than anything. We kill most of our birds 15-20 yards out, or less, alot of times 10-15 feet off the water, all on high pressure public land. We shoot 3" #3 1 1/4oz loads at 1425. Use to be $8 per box. If we don't kill our seven birds with 10 shots or less, we start getting frustrated with our shooting. There is no magic shell to make you a better hunter. Learn to hunt well, and clean kills will follow.
By mallard_drake85 - 12/29/2011 2:20:52 PM
For years, my brother and I used Winchester Xpert #2's for ducks and we did have alot of cripples that required a swatter shot. If you get a chance, cut one of those Xperts open and pour the shot out...most of it will not roll off a table due to it's shape. That's the reason its only $15 a box! This does make a big difference in pattern and lethality, espically at longer distances (out past 40 yards). Now I do not suggest you take longer shots unless you are proficient at those ranges. Within the last 3 years, we started experimenting with premium shot: Remington Nitro's, Heavy-Metal, and Heavy-Shot, and Kent (Bismuth and Tungsten Iron). We immediately started to see dramatic increases in our kill vs cripple ratios. Currently we are using  3" Heavy shot Heavy 13, Heavy-Metal 1 1/4 oz #4's and BB's, and Remington Nitro BB's. If we do our part, ducks just fold!  We have used 3 1/2" loads before, but IMO, the added recoil isn't worth it. If you were dead set on using a 3 1/2" in shell, I highly suggest a 10 gauge. The added weight makes the recoil of a 3 1/2 in load negligible!

Just my 3 cents

mallard_drake85
By Base - 12/29/2011 8:20:18 PM
Xtrema II's are very soft shooting
By mat0181 - 3/13/2012 2:09:24 PM
Just a quick update! thanks for all the advice. i patterned the xperts against some kent fasteel. the patterns werent drastically different. although i felt in the field i did much better with the kent's. it might just of been the fact that i changed something i allowed myself to place better shots. anyway i cut open both shells and it's true. The xperts looked horrible. its not hard to believe the misshaped pellets lose velocity and accuracy at range. I switched to Kent fasteel #3   1 1/8oz. for the most part all i see are gadwalls or smaller birds. but a crap load of gadys. once again thanks for the advice!

p.s. i can post the pictures of my patterns if anyone wants to see them or give some input on them
By stoeger - 5/23/2012 10:17:40 PM
I shoot mainly 3 1/2 in # 2 heavy metal with hevi shot mid range tube and kill doubles with my stoeger 3500 28in barrel. when teal hunting switch to 3 in #2 heavy metal. i had a mossberg ultimag and it worked best the 3 in shells. With 3 1/2 in shell recoil is a little worse but the stoeger 3500 has a recoil reduce that comes with it that goes inside stock without the reducer they are brutal.
By MN_Waterfowler - 5/29/2012 6:38:04 PM
Find the best brand you like and never change. Once you get use to shooting your brand, and you switch, you loose your natural lead instinct. Remember to take in the velocity of your shot. I kill everything with 3 inch even with the Minnesota November's we have sometimes. Just follow the first tip I gave you. I learned couple years ago from making that same mistake.
By flannel - 5/29/2012 8:15:20 PM
MN_Waterfowler (5/29/2012)
Find the best brand you like and never change. Once you get use to shooting your brand, and you switch, you loose your natural lead instinct. Remember to take in the velocity of your shot. I kill everything with 3 inch even with the Minnesota November's we have sometimes. Just follow the first tip I gave you. I learned couple years ago from making that same mistake.

I think you make a good point about not "switching around," however I wouldn't overemphasize switching brands if the quality/velocities are similar. I often start with an amalgamation of different shell brands and never have experienced a problem because of it. If you miss, an experienced shooter usually knows why and 99% of the time it's human error. I know you're probably speaking in terms of "instinctive shooting" but again, the loads are usually similar enough where the differences are negligible, so long as they are equal loads of respectable quality.
By flannel - 5/29/2012 8:20:33 PM
stoeger (5/23/2012)
I shoot mainly 3 1/2 in # 2 heavy metal with hevi shot mid range tube and kill doubles with my stoeger 3500 28in barrel. when teal hunting switch to 3 in #2 heavy metal. i had a mossberg ultimag and it worked best the 3 in shells. With 3 1/2 in shell recoil is a little worse but the stoeger 3500 has a recoil reduce that comes with it that goes inside stock without the reducer they are brutal.

I hope you're not using 3 1/2" on DUCKS are you? You can kill geese cleanly within 40yds with a decent 3" load and teal are easily dumped with 2 3/4" 4's at the same distance. The only thing I load 3 1/2" for is turkey, but they're a helluva lot tougher than waterfowl.
By Base - 5/31/2012 1:00:36 PM
flannel (5/29/2012)
stoeger (5/23/2012)

I hope you're not using 3 1/2" on DUCKS are you? You can kill geese cleanly within 40yds with a decent 3" load and teal are easily dumped with 2 3/4" 4's at the same distance. The only thing I load 3 1/2" for is turkey, but they're a helluva lot tougher than waterfowl.

I agree Flannel, to a point. You may or may not agree but I have always wondered that geographics may have a role to play also. Here in se PA I hammer late season mallards  and sometimes a guy would think that the feathers on them is made out of kevlar.
By flannel - 6/1/2012 1:21:44 PM
Oh trust me, "Kevlar Ducks" definitely make their way here, too! lol I hunt til the last day of the season: late January and still drop mallards at 40+ with 2 3/4 #4's here in Oregon, where the birds have plenty of fat and bulk making them quite a bit tougher than the early season ducks in October. Regardless of 2 3/4 or 3 1/2 loads, you have to hit em, plain and simple...if I can do it, I'm sure most people on here can too. I mean c'mon, you know what a sweet pattern that Xtrema throws! Now, as to the Kevlar ducks....I think there must be some secret experiment going on in Canada that gives ducks super powers and makes hunters in the states frustrated when they see feathers violently disrupted after placing a perfect shot only to see a duck "deflect" it and carry on its merry way. I just shoot em in the head, it ends the frustration :D ....though I've ruined a few potential mounts by making them very headless :Whistling:
By arkansashogs18 - 6/3/2012 4:29:40 PM
Not stirring the pot, but for anybody just hunting ducks (not geese) who is shooting 3 1/2" or a shot size bigger than 2s, I laugh a little in my head. Get 'em close, it's more fun that way.
My personal opinion is 3" #2,3, or 4s are perfect, with 3s being my choice.
If you are crippling a lot of ducks, you may be shooting them in the azz.
"Butt, beak, boom."
By flannel - 6/3/2012 11:22:14 PM
arkansashogs18 (6/3/2012)
Not stirring the pot, but for anybody just hunting ducks (not geese) who is shooting 3 1/2" or a shot size bigger than 2s, I laugh a little in my head. Get 'em close, it's more fun that way.
My personal opinion is 3" #2,3, or 4s are perfect, with 3s being my choice.
If you are crippling a lot of ducks, you may be shooting them in the azz.
"Butt, beak, boom."

or need a tighter choke-I really like my Briley IM for an overall choke. I usually shoot 4's now, but shot 2's for years, I tried 3's a few times but I always seemed to have a harder time getting a good pattern like I did with the 2s or 4s- any experience with that? In my mind I think 3's would be the perfect happy-medium, but I have trouble with that size for some reason.
By arkansashogs18 - 6/5/2012 3:32:01 PM
Flannel- You said it best yourself. If the #3s weren't patterning well, that's all that matters. A different brand of shell might pattern better. But if you're smackin' 'em good with that choke combination and the #4s, you may not want to worry about it!
I think it's a mental thing for me as much as anything, because I consider #2s kind of big, and #4s more of a very close range shell, so my #3s make me feel comfortable.
By flannel - 6/6/2012 11:48:18 AM
I totally agree with what you said, but I just find it odd that 3's pattern like crap in all three of my main waterfowl guns-870, Browning, Beretta it's almost like there's something about the size of the shot itself-but it works for you, so??? I don't know, just weird I guess!
By arkansashogs18 - 6/7/2012 4:06:28 PM
That's interesting, you would think that ought of multiple guns at least one would have a good pattern.
By Honker-Konker - 7/25/2012 12:43:48 AM
3in shells are plenty for ducks but I still love pounding them with 3 1/2in shells. I like to use 3 1/2in #1 when I hunt because most of our hunts involve both ducks and geese so I wanna be able to reach out and touch a goose when one comes by. But when it comes to teal I'll use 2 3/4in #6 steel dove loads. It's all personal preference. I'm not saying anybody on here has 3 1/2in envy but some guys do like to trash talk the 3 1/2in shells because their gun can only shoot 3in shells. Who cares what everyone else uses if you can successfully take waterfowl with what you shoot be-it 2 3/4in, 3in, or 3 1/2in. We all just want to enjoy waterfowl hunting so lets just do that. 
By ESutter - 7/25/2012 7:46:40 AM
Last year I made the switch from 3" 2s to 3" 4s (on duck) and had way more clean kills than any year previous. 

Still use 3.5" BB on geese.
By flannel - 7/25/2012 11:34:34 AM
Honker-Konker (7/25/2012)
3in shells are plenty for ducks but I still love pounding them with 3 1/2in shells. I like to use 3 1/2in #1 when I hunt because most of our hunts involve both ducks and geese so I wanna be able to reach out and touch a goose when one comes by. But when it comes to teal I'll use 2 3/4in #6 steel dove loads. It's all personal preference. I'm not saying anybody on here has 3 1/2in envy but some guys do like to trash talk the 3 1/2in shells because their gun can only shoot 3in shells. Who cares what everyone else uses if you can successfully take waterfowl with what you shoot be-it 2 3/4in, 3in, or 3 1/2in. We all just want to enjoy waterfowl hunting so lets just do that. 

You make a good point, except for the fact that shooting ducks with huge shot sizes out of over-sized payloads, results in more ducks ending up destroyed completely and rendered inedible. 3 1/2s will not compensate for a crappy shooter anyway, so why spend the $$? And for the record, I have two 3 1/2" chambered guns, so "envy" is not an issue.
By stoeger - 7/25/2012 10:03:10 PM
I agree with you duck hunting is about spending time in the cold, damp duck blind waiting on the wings to lock for the desent. Then the steel flys no matter what you use just as long as the bird folds up, you get to work you trusted dog to bring it back.Then  you call and it all starts again. They make shells of all sizes because everybody is different. I hunt with guys that wish they could go with 3 1/2in in certin conditions. If your gonna buy a new gun i suggest going 3 1/2in you can run 3in  in them but you can't run 3 1/2  a 3in chambered gun.
By Honker-Konker - 7/25/2012 11:20:04 PM
flannel (7/25/2012)

You make a good point, except for the fact that shooting ducks with huge shot sizes out of over-sized payloads, results in more ducks ending up destroyed completely and rendered inedible. 3 1/2s will not compensate for a crappy shooter anyway, so why spend the $$? And for the record, I have two 3 1/2" chambered guns, so "envy" is not an issue.

True that large shot size will destroy some ducks. I've seen some teal blown apart by BB's and it ain't pretty. But there is always meat to salvage, it just comes tenderized straight off the duck. :D

Most of our shooting at ducks takes place in the 20-30yd range so we can get by with using larger size shot such as #1 and BB when hunting ducks and it also helps us with the geese as I previously mentioned. Location should play a big factor on the size of shot as well. If you are hunting in timber or hunting teal and taking lots of 15-20yd shots you would be fine shooting 3in #4 or 2 3/4in #4 for that matter. I've used 2 3/4in #6 steel dove loads on teal. But if you are gonna typically be taking shots at the 30-40yd range a 3in or 3 1/2in  #2, #1, or BB would be a better suited load. 

Knowing what your ability is, what size of waterfowl you'll be hunting, and typical shot distance should all be factors when picking a load for that day. 
By flannel - 7/25/2012 11:27:06 PM
"But if you are gonna typically be taking shots at the 30-40yd range a 3in or 3 1/2in  #2, #1, or BB would be a better suited load."

I respectfully disagree with ever having to use #1 or BB on ducks at that range. It's the equivalent of shooting a buck at 40 yds with a 50 cal., sure you could do it, but it simply defies logic. 
By Honker-Konker - 7/25/2012 11:51:37 PM
flannel (7/25/2012)
"But if you are gonna typically be taking shots at the 30-40yd range a 3in or 3 1/2in  #2, #1, or BB would be a better suited load."

I respectfully disagree with ever having to use #1 or BB on ducks at that range. It's the equivalent of shooting a buck at 40 yds with a 50 cal., sure you could do it, but it simply defies logic. 

Just so you know I am in no way trying to start an argument with you and I believe you understand that, and I know you aren't trying to argue with me. We are just stating our respected opinions to each other.

You don't have to use that big of shot but I'm much more comfortable shooting the #1 and BB's at 40yd than I am shooting #4 or #3. I've shot many a duck at that distance with #4 and they work just fine most the time. I guess since I do so much duck and goose hunting at the same time that I forget some guys only do one or the other at one time. 

And the deer scenario holds some truth but look at it this way. We are gonna say that a .22cal is legal in this scenario even though it's not in Indiana. Can you shoot a buck at 40yd with a .22cal and kill it, yes without a problem, but wouldn't you rather have the knockdown power of a 50cal muzzle-loader? I would and have a few times. 

I willfully admit that I'm a little overkill when it comes to many things but I just like to know I'm gonna get the job done and get it done with power. 
By flannel - 7/26/2012 11:11:47 AM
I don't feel like we're "arguing" either, just debating our different beliefs...isn't that what having a forum like this is for? :cool: Anyway, I certainly understand wanting to have the extra "umph" to knock a bird down cleanly, as cripples that escape are very frustrating. However, it's definitely been my experience that smaller shot with denser patterns (due to more pellets) actually do a better job of this. Ultimately I'm concerned that people who shoot these ginormous loads at ducks are really just killing them and not eating them since there is little left to eat. I've never had a problem knocking geese out of the sky with 3" #2s, even at considerable distances, while using the same load to hammer a teal or what have you at 20yds without tearing the crap out of it. But like it has been stated previously, if that's what you choose to use and your not wasting birds, all the power to ya Brother.
By Honker-Konker - 7/26/2012 11:42:17 AM
flannel (7/26/2012)
I don't feel like we're "arguing" either, just debating our different beliefs...isn't that what having a forum like this is for? :cool: Anyway, I certainly understand wanting to have the extra "umph" to knock a bird down cleanly, as cripples that escape are very frustrating. However, it's definitely been my experience that smaller shot with denser patterns (due to more pellets) actually do a better job of this. Ultimately I'm concerned that people who shoot these ginormous loads at ducks are really just killing them and not eating them since there is little left to eat. I've never had a problem knocking geese out of the sky with 3" #2s, even at considerable distances, while using the same load to hammer a teal or what have you at 20yds without tearing the crap out of it. But like it has been stated previously, if that's what you choose to use and your not wasting birds, all the power to ya Brother.

I always like talking to people like you that can actually carry on a conversation without throwing a fit. It's nice to know not everybody on the internet isn't a stubborn punk. 
By 9piferad - 8/7/2012 10:39:07 AM
It is most likely I am running 3.5" through my gun, cause if I have it, why would I not use it? Usually have the gun loaded with #2's with a box of bb's close by when I'm mainly hunting for ducks and might run to a few geese, but If I'm going after the geese then it is usually bb's in the gun with a box of 2's near me.
By Barrett - 12/26/2012 9:51:33 AM
Out of my Browning A5 30" barrel I shoot the Black Cloud 3" #3 shot with the browning Double seal choke's and works great! it reaches out there and patterns well.
By Amish Amy - 12/27/2012 4:00:15 AM
A new A-5 and this is the first we've heard about it??  Do you like it??  Joe
By Swamper - 12/27/2012 9:54:26 AM
[/quote]I always like talking to people like you that can actually carry on a conversation without throwing a fit. It's nice to know not everybody on the internet isn't a stubborn punk. [/quote]

i agree. it's refreshing.  thought sure this would turn into disaster thread.  
By Barrett - 12/27/2012 10:40:20 AM
I love it! i like the 30" barrel it swings really well and is balanced. It throws up well for quick shots too even with a 30" barrel which is great . I have put about 300 shells through it and not one hang up. I have shot everything from light field loads to steel shot and heavy lead. Great gun and with the new dura coat armor coating it is tuff and almost has a sticky feel to prevent slipping in your hands in adverse conditions. If you are looking for a good all around 3inch inertia driven gun it is a great choice.  I have loved mine and the hump back gives you a nice sight picture across the top of the gun for leading or in a swing. If it helps a skeptic it also comes with a 100,000 round or 5 year warranty which is just a bit of piece of mind when spending the money.

PS: the DS (double seal) choke system patterns well with the length of the taper in the tubes.
By Fowl73 - 12/30/2012 8:55:03 PM
use fiocchi 20ga 2 3/4 4's with extra full choke or federal 12ga 2 3/4 4s both through 26'' barrel novas
By max4mike - 1/2/2013 9:38:09 PM
Anyone have good feedback on blind side shells. 

Benelli nova... 
By deadshot7 - 1/3/2013 4:16:24 PM
Dunno if it's been said, but I have fallen in love with both Black Cloud and Winchester Blind Side.

I shoot #2's with the Blindside for Ducks, and BB-BBB's with Black Cloud for Geese.

I've also loaded the BB's in for Mallards and other Big Ducks. Drop them guaranteed on every shot.