What will happen if I use both duck and goose decoys in my spread.

http://www.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic762272.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By dull-knife - 10/11/2011 5:43:46 PM
Hey guys I've been hunting ducks for about 3yrs. now and have just drawn for a blind on the Mississippi river. I was wanting to hunt both ducks and geese from this blind and was wondering if i could kill 2 birds with one stone using both goose and duck decoys. Am I shooting myself in the foot doing this or should I just hunt ducks during duck season and afterwards hunt geese? All thoughts appreciated!
-Dull-knife
By QuackHead 96 - 10/11/2011 8:37:29 PM
Remember geese don't like to light over ducks. Get with the wind. Duck decoys at one side and goose decoys on the other. So here you go:

Goose Decoys                     Duck Decoys     <---------- Wind
Coming from left to right.

Ducks will usually swim in. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Ben
By hunter951 - 10/12/2011 12:56:24 PM
Try putting out a spread of mixed puddlers, (mallards, blacks, pintails, etc.) and then off to the side add a small flock of goose decoys. The geese will like the honker impostors and for the ducks the geese will be like confidence decoys. Just make sure your two spreads aren't to close together. Have fun!  
By dull-knife - 10/12/2011 3:41:37 PM
Perfect! just what I was hoping for. Thanks for the input fellas.
By Honker-Konker - 10/17/2011 11:30:24 PM
Use geese as you primary decoys with some Mallards mixed in with them. Ducks will land with goose decoys without any trouble but geese don't typically land with duck decoys.
By cdill - 11/18/2011 12:14:29 PM
Honker-Konker (10/17/2011)
Use geese as you primary decoys with some Mallards mixed in with them. Ducks will land with goose decoys without any trouble but geese don't typically land with duck decoys.

Exactly what I have seen too!  We are setting a mixed spread this weekend.  Mainly mallards, pintails, and teal about 3 dozen strong.  Off to the side and away from the ducks, a small flock of 5 canada geese to work as confidence decoys for the ducks and hopefully draw any passing geese we may see.
By whackem en stackem - 2/15/2012 12:45:28 PM
You can either mix the geese in with the ducks but keep the geese in two and threes in the mix or put them off to the side. Ive tried both and have had similar success. We shot a couple geese this year in a mixed spread and a couple with the geese off to the side. Probably depends on where you hunt too. I hunt on Chequamegon Bay on Lake Superior.
By tsmart - 2/17/2012 10:02:15 PM
I usually put 3-6 Canada decoys to one side of my duck spread while duck hunting. And I've killed both ducks and geese over that set up in a single day, but I do usually separate them (just my preference). Unless it's goose season only, then I use goose decoys, with a few ducks for confidence.

However, if you are where they wanna be, or stray geese are looking for a place to light  - I've called geese into a duck spread with no goose decoys, and killed them over duck decoys only.

Mix it up, play with it, and see how the birds react. Always keep the wind in mind when setting out your spread. Try to keep the wind blowing from behind you if possible, so they light from in front of you. Or at least right to left, or left to right. Never set up with the wind blowing in your face (IMHO).

T.
By daddy duck - 2/18/2012 12:11:35 AM
where i hunt the goose season is closed during the reg duck season...so I mix both Goose and ducke decoys...duck will light in amongst goose decoy and since the season is closed I really dont care what the geese do.....one more thing if you are using goose decoys and duck decoys...and you got a partner with you use both calls...geese are very seldom quite make goose noises and duck sounds at the same time...gives it that refuge feel to your spread
By BDhunter - 7/29/2012 1:34:02 PM
ive used goose and duck together ducks on one side geese on the other or on the ends.never got geese to come in close for me to feel comfortable to shoot but geese decoys pull in the wood ducks.they will prefere to land over by geese then the duck decoys.
By Superblack - 12/6/2012 7:48:29 AM
Something no one has mentioned is that when hunting with both goose and duck decoys if you can use a mojo mallard in your area I would leave it at home...Ive killed tons of ducks with and without a mojo over a combo spread in rice fields in southwest louisiana but pretty much never got geese to finish with a mojo flapping. Have killed them with no mojo over combo spreads, but its hard to get them close enough to kill with a mojo duck.