Remington 870 Jamming Update

http://il.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic760364.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By WoodDuck87 - 8/23/2011 4:10:51 PM
Like alot of you I had a problem with my 870 jamming shells.  I would go to the local skeet/trap range and about 10 shots later i would be having shells stick.  I couldn't eject them at all.  After looking like a fool, the shell would finally eject after really shucking the gun as hard as i could.  At first i thought it was cheap shells.  Yes, by buying the Remington nitros or Winchester AA I had no problems.  But, I was determined to figure out the problem.  I looked very closely at the back of the barrel where the shell sits.  Around the rim where the brass would normally sit was a little burr.  I also noticed alot of build-up of spent powder or plastic wading where the forcing cone starts and ends.  So, to remidy this, i took my dewalt drill and attached my cleaning brush to it.  I began by spraying alot of remington shotgun cleaner in the forcing cone area and let it set for about a min.  Then I started at low speeds working the brush around the forcing cone and back out towards the back of the barrel where the burr was.  After a while i added more cleaner and the burr was eventually ground down.  This was a less abrasive way of polishing out the burr.  I don't know how it got there, but I took it out to shoot today and had no more problems with the cheap 100 round value boxes!:D  If you need pics of where the burr was i have them and can post if wanted. 
By flannel - 8/23/2011 4:32:01 PM
That burr is a well-known problem originating from the factory cutting corners at Remington. You did what many people have had to do to fix the problem, so far that's been the only issue with those guns, good luck!
By Its Me! - 8/24/2011 8:34:37 PM
I had a similar problem with my Mossberg 535, the chamber was so ruff that After 5 rounds the shells would get stuck. I had to have it polished by a gunsmith. I never would have thought that the chamber would have looked like that. The gunsmith that fixed it explained to me that the 535's are made in Texas where as the 500's are made in Connetticut. Apparently they like to rush stuff out or use unskilled workers in that factory.
By WoodDuck87 - 8/24/2011 9:25:37 PM
That is soo sad that these guns are having these problems.  I'm gonna do some more range time later and make sure that it is good to go for hunting season.  I bet you that is exactly what is going on at Mossberg and Remington factories....corner cutting.  All they care about it quantity now, not quality.  I've shot older Remingtons and Winchester pumps and you can tell, every company has dropped the ball.  One company I know that hasn't dropped the ball is Benelli.  I have the SBE 2 and i've had no problems out of it.  That is an awesome gun. 
By flannel - 8/24/2011 11:13:29 PM
WoodDuck87 (8/24/2011)
That is soo sad that these guns are having these problems.  I'm gonna do some more range time later and make sure that it is good to go for hunting season.  I bet you that is exactly what is going on at Mossberg and Remington factories....corner cutting.  All they care about it quantity now, not quality.  I've shot older Remingtons and Winchester pumps and you can tell, every company has dropped the ball.  One company I know that hasn't dropped the ball is Benelli.  I have the SBE 2 and i've had no problems out of it.  That is an awesome gun. 

Yep, My ol' reliable is an 870 my Dad bought me back in the early 90's and it is far better machined than any modern 870 (besides the Wingmasters). As far as quality guns you can't go wrong with a Browning or Beretta either, I can't stomach the looks of Benellis so don't own one, but I believe them to be nearly as good as the other 2 "B" guns.
By kiragyu2 - 8/30/2011 3:13:33 PM
you got any pictures wood duck?
By WoodDuck87 - 9/16/2011 9:38:23 PM
kiragyu2 (8/30/2011)
you got any pictures wood duck?

yeah kiragyu2, i have the pics of the barrel on my sd card.  I'll load them on the computer and post them tommorow.
By DDF I seen feathers - 1/1/2013 5:18:56 PM
I have a Remington 870 express supermag and it wouldn't eject shells either and I did research and its a problem in their dipping process with the dulling solution all you have to do is call Remington and they can tell u where to take it and someone will rehone it for you for free
By blackjack10 - 1/9/2013 3:10:19 PM
DDF I seen feathers (1/1/2013)
I have a Remington 870 express supermag and it wouldn't eject shells either and I did research and its a problem in their dipping process with the dulling solution all you have to do is call Remington and they can tell u where to take it and someone will rehone it for you for free

This is good to know. Mine does the same thing but only with target loads. It's done it twice over 3 seasons with steel shot. Target loads it does it every single shot. I'll definitely be contacting Remington.
By GoFrogs - 4/2/2013 1:50:12 PM
I just bought a new Remington 870 in Max 4 camo for $450 expecting that they have fixed all the ejection problems, but I might have been wrong. I havent had time to go shoot it, but I plan on shooting shells ranging from target loads to 3.5 inch magnum goose loads. Anyone having any problems ejecting with the most recent 870's?
Thanks
By TNfowler - 7/23/2013 1:57:15 PM
im sure by now you've probably heard most of the usual suspects in shell jamming in an 870. might i ask what model it is? i have a vintage 870 Wingmaster, my dad broke it in when he bought it new in the early 70's and  and passed it down to me and i have definatley put some miles on it, and the only problem i had was the shell latches, where they are staked to the gun, have come unstaked and cause annoying amount of jamming. i just picked up a stake tool at a Midway USA for 25 dollars. fixed the problem. If this aint the problem, i apologize. i also have a 870 express, but have only had one jamming incident, but i blame that solely on cheap shells.
By BDhunter - 10/14/2013 9:37:25 AM
im going to check to see if my Remington has the same problem having jamming issues. what type of cleaning brush you use.also what type of Remington cleaner did you use.
By GoFrogs - 10/15/2013 12:50:10 AM
My 870 did the same jamming but only with cheap, low brass, aluminum hulls. If you shoot good grass hulls it should cycle like a dream, shot 250 dove this past week with it and no jams what so ever.