Jon Boat Question.

http://www.ducksunlimited.com/news-media/messageboards/Topic758985.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By chad78 - 7/3/2011 5:32:09 PM
I recently aquired a 10' Jon Boat will I be able haul My dad,Dog and gear in this thing. I never hunt any thing in big water. exclusivley in shallow ponds and passages. Ive hunted out of a 12' canoe with no issues but never out of a Jon boat.
By ESutter - 7/3/2011 7:35:19 PM
I can't give you a great answer, but I know that some short Jons actually have far less weight capacity than some canoes.
By big_fish - 7/4/2011 9:17:40 AM
I had a 10 ft jon boat and I have a 12 ft sportpal canoe my canoe is more stable than the jon boat was but I havent had my lab in the canoe yet pros of the jon boat it will haul more gear .Are you planning on hunting out of it or just to get to you blind
By chad78 - 7/4/2011 10:47:33 AM
Yeah i'll probably hunt out of it idealy. But I could also pack along a marsh chair if I have to.
By big_fish - 7/4/2011 3:02:38 PM
a fellow from another forum I go on was selling a 10 ft jon boat he had bought a 10 ft piece of 6 in schedule 40 pvc pipe and 4 end caps he cut the pipe in half glued the caps on and used furnace duct work strapping and fastened to each side and the thing was unsinkable him his son and their chessie hunted out of it might be an idea
By J&R Game Calls - 7/14/2011 12:11:33 PM
it all depends on how your dog acts in a boat i have flipped a 14 foot john boat before on a small river with no waves. Personally i would not recommend a 10 footer for ducks,with all your  gear it would be tough
By J_ - 4/8/2012 11:38:48 PM
I just got a 1980 1636 lowe boat pretty cheap.  Has anybody ever duck hunted out of a 36 inch wide base.  I dont even think they sell 16 footers that narrow any more only 48 inches.  I have a few questions?

Where can I find the max weight for passengers, I would like to get three hunters in it an maybe a dog since the stickers are pretty much worn off.

What size motor would be ideal for this boat since it is the 36 inch wide rib at the base

Also the transom board needs replaced, what type of wood do I need to replace it with since I hear that some treated wood at hardware stores react with the aluminum?  Or would it be more ideal for the price to have Bass pro or Cabelas change it out in the Kansas City Area.
By huntorgather - 4/9/2012 11:11:03 AM
If you have to ask you are most likely under boated. Remember once the shooting starts things happen fast.
By Its Me! - 5/2/2012 5:31:54 PM
J_ (4/8/2012)
I just got a 1980 1636 lowe boat pretty cheap.  Has anybody ever duck hunted out of a 36 inch wide base.  I dont even think they sell 16 footers that narrow any more only 48 inches.  I have a few questions?

Where can I find the max weight for passengers, I would like to get three hunters in it an maybe a dog since the stickers are pretty much worn off.

What size motor would be ideal for this boat since it is the 36 inch wide rib at the base

Also the transom board needs replaced, what type of wood do I need to replace it with since I hear that some treated wood at hardware stores react with the aluminum?  Or would it be more ideal for the price to have Bass pro or Cabelas change it out in the Kansas City Area.
I have a 12' jon with a 32" base 46" at the top and it's rated for a 5hp and two people, but the weight rating is low. I wouldn't think it would be safe to have three people in your boat with a dog two. Your boat is probably rated for a 6 or 7 hp outboard, but it was probably rated for a air cooled engine outboard, so I would think it would be more like a 5hp watercooled.
By Its Me! - 5/2/2012 5:42:17 PM
chad78 (7/3/2011)
I recently aquired a 10' Jon Boat will I be able haul My dad,Dog and gear in this thing. I never hunt any thing in big water. exclusivley in shallow ponds and passages. Ive hunted out of a 12' canoe with no issues but never out of a Jon boat.
What kind of propulsion are you going to use. I do know that they can float two guys safely with a light motor, but that also depends on your weight as well as your dads and how much other stuff you need, I would think you might be pushing it with a dog besides the rest of your gear, but what kind off dog are you talking? One way to be sure is to load it up with you, your dad, and dog with your motor in a shallow area and see how much water it's drafting. 
By MN_Waterfowler - 5/24/2012 1:34:53 PM
Jon boats are nice for shallow ponds 10 feet or less. If you want more stabilization for it pick up some beavertails bouyances to put on the middle sides. However, this depends on how deep the sides are. Jon's are pretty good and stealthy compared to other v-size boats. I find it more easier to hide them in weeds and there more stable inside weeds as well. Plus don't forget their flat bottoms making it easier to cruise in 1/2 foot of water. I'v been to some places where other had to get out of their v-size and push while I just scooted on along waving at them. Once again it depends on how much weight is going to be on them. I would recommend more then 400 pounds on them unless you have those stabilizers.
By duckheadone - 8/10/2012 9:24:12 AM
My opinion.  Keep your PFD ON, you are going to need it.  sounds like to me you have already overloaded your boat.  Two men + 300-400 lbs, dog 75-100, plus gear another 50-100 lbs.  10 feet is very small for a boat.  Calm water you are pushing it; rough open water you are asking for trouble.  Jon boats can be unsable especially in waves (remberber winds and waves don't always come from the same direction)  My advise from 40 years of rough water - get something bigger and safer - don't be a statistic.

duckhead
By duckman57 - 8/10/2012 11:53:06 AM
With apologies to Richard Dreyfus and the movie Jaws, you're gonna need a bigger boat.
By Tinker Koch - 8/12/2012 12:33:21 AM
My brother and I hunt out of my 11'6" skiff which i have built an avery stile blind for with not trouble. We have a 6hp motor for the boat, and it works great. We found threw using it how much equipment we need to packs, and what to take to save space.
By telkins4 - 11/28/2012 9:44:35 AM
Ive had two people in a 10ft john with a dog and two decoy bags and the rest of the gear and hunted a whole season with no problem.  I had a 9.5 on the back and it rode great when it was loaded down, gotta be careful when its empty though.  As for stability i would prefer a jon to a canoe all day.
By mallardtime - 12/30/2012 8:21:53 PM
I have a ten ft jon an me an my daughter an my golden we do alright in it  and thats even gear to.But i got a Alu.craft  an my one hunting buddy has a 10 ft lowe my is heavyer than his an his is a little more tips than mine. But i push mine up the reeds about a foot inside the reeds along the water that makes it more stabler an the benny hase no problem see them when they hit the water. But that boat is used in the marsh oldly otherwise i use my 1448 on the old miss. I'm not a canoe fan my best friend lost his dad in one. Haven't been in one sense.
By Browning17 - 1/11/2013 7:08:59 PM
If your 10' boat is 36". Keep it and turn it into a sweet sneakbox for yourself and dog.  For a two man + dog combination, I would definitely get a bigger boat.  Not worth the risk. It will be very unstable when in the open water.  You can put it in reeds for better stabilization, but you normally have to go through open water to get there.  Like the other post said, " Don't be a statistic"  Turn it into a sweet sneakbox for yourself.  Guarantee you'll love it.      

Sweet Talk'm In...