im a newbie:::: do's and dont's

http://il.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic757099.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By grassmarine762 - 4/16/2011 4:46:45 PM
so whats the most common way to ruin a duck hunt and what brings birds in and what scares them away?
By swampman90 - 4/17/2011 5:33:29 PM
Not being fully hidden and too much movement would be my top two big no-no's.
By grassmarine762 - 4/17/2011 6:01:19 PM
ya that makes sense, are you allowed to shoot them in the water? dumb question but im new at this
By QuackHead 96 - 4/17/2011 7:09:28 PM
I would have to agree on the whole movement factor, but also pressure can  ruin your field or pond. Don't go watch your hole every night. The birds have to stay safe. You want to maybe watch from a distance or listen. Waterfowl hunting is all about trial and error. Also, you don't always have too call much. Oh, and by the way, OF COURSE YOU CAN SHOOT THEM ON THE WATER!!!!
By grassmarine762 - 4/17/2011 9:21:15 PM
ya i didnt know if you could only shoot flying birds, but now i know thanks guys
By myrealname - 4/18/2011 11:42:11 AM
most states in order to shoot them on the water, you have to stand up and do 6 1/2 jumping jacks before you fire your first shot.
By TooTall - 4/19/2011 2:00:40 PM
myrealname (4/18/2011)
most states in order to shoot them on the water, you have to stand up and do 6 1/2 jumping jacks before you fire your first shot.

Can we count the motion of shouldering the gun as the 1/2 or does that not count, if not then well :Whistling:
By ESutter - 4/19/2011 4:36:18 PM
TooTall (4/19/2011)
myrealname (4/18/2011)

Can we count the motion of shouldering the gun as the 1/2 or does that not count, if not then well :Whistling:

I think shouldering the gun counts as half if you spread your legs as you do it.
By Base - 4/22/2011 6:47:34 PM
grassmarine762 (4/17/2011)
ya that makes sense, are you allowed to shoot them in the water? dumb question but im new at this

as far as i know MD is the only state that has  a law aginst it.:) good luck with the Jumping Jacks
By Swanger - 8/1/2011 3:02:50 PM
Dont just make noise with the call for the hell of it while hunting.  Just like when u are holding a conversation with someone u dont shout when the are standing next to u and u dont whisper when they are far out.  Same with duckcalling.  Also dont just make quacks, Feeder calls ect. for the hell of it learn when the apperopriate time is.  U dont say ramdom words in a sentence when u r talking to a person, ducks r the same way.
By BlindBound86 - 8/4/2011 8:00:16 PM
I would defenitley have to agree with the movement factor and get a lot of practice and advice before you start calling at ducks.I took a call out on my second hunt with a much more experienced person and he didn't even let me bring a call to the field for the next two seasons I hunted with him!!! Most of all just be sure and have lotsa fun!
By myrealname - 8/5/2011 10:01:02 AM
Base (4/22/2011)
grassmarine762 (4/17/2011)

as far as i know MD is the only state that has  a law aginst it.:) good luck with the Jumping Jacks

They really have a law against that??  Is it seriously enforeced?  If so, what a waste of time.
By Tinker Koch - 8/6/2011 5:28:12 PM
I would sagest getting the Buck Gardner duck calling cd to start with on calling, don't get in a hurry to call on hunts. A good simple item to add to your decoy spread is a jerk string, you can make one, don't buy one. As far as decoys go there are many great looking decoys out there, its just what do you want to spend.
By 1st and 10 - 8/25/2011 12:04:53 PM
when i first starting getting into it i over called nearly every hunt....... so dont do that
By Army of Dad - 8/25/2011 3:18:38 PM
1st and 10 (8/25/2011)
when i first starting getting into it i over called nearly every hunt....... so dont do that

X2, last year a couple of guys were hunting near us and they blew a never ending succesion of hail calls...for almost three hours.
By bigrick_2u - 8/29/2011 6:58:50 AM
Since we've already covered the jumping jacks and continuesly screaming hail calls, there's one more important factor you need to learn... decoys. Learn how to set up a good spread, and make an investment. My only advice is to go out and try it, it helps to learn beside someone who knows what they are doing. When I first started, NOONE duck hunted in southern Ohio. I caught up with a retired game warden who taught me why and how to use them. Changed me life! For now, start educating yourself, you'll learn alot about decoys your first few times in the field.
By 3 Black Dogs - 8/29/2011 10:04:00 PM
Not only do you have to do the jumping jacks but you have to eat something healthy like a carrot stick. It the Obama plan to eat healthy and get into shape so no one will be over weight anymore.
On a serious note calling and decoy placement and movement are probably the big three .
By Greenhead25 - 8/31/2011 12:57:15 PM
ACTUALLY!!!! Safety is first and foremost....If you trip and fall get up and keep sloggin....Never have a loaded gun until its LST and be ready...Know whats BEYOND your targets..Basic gun safety is NUMBER 1!!! I have guys who cant "duck hunt" worth a crap but they are always welcome in my boat or blind because they are safe...The rest will come with experiance..NUMBER 2.... HAVE FUN...go out and learn be safe and itll come to you..The more often you hunt the more you will learn..Its not about how many ducks you kill..Its about having fun seeing the sun rise over the dekes and being thankful you can be a part of that...When I was new I wanted to learn ALL I could..Time in the field is what it takes..Get out there and do it..Just be safe and keep a code of ethics...That means only do what you would want some other yabo to do if he was near you..That should cover the low bird shots setting up close and calling with a kazoo...Never give up and when you arent getting birds in your dekes...figure out where they are going..Its constant scouting..tODAYS "X" MAYBE A BUST TOMORROW...Best of luck and again be safe and HAVE FUN!!!
By hunter951 - 10/18/2011 8:54:13 PM
Yeah, definitely know what your background is before you shoot. Every year at a pheasant lodge I went to someone broke the window because they didn't realize the lodge was behind the pheasant they were shooting at.
By M887 - 11/3/2011 7:41:22 AM
Dont over call, remimber noise bounces off water. Same as you being able to here people talking across the lake. Soft and sweet works every time.
By River Rat - 11/3/2011 12:04:48 PM
Dont go to blind for full day hunt without Toilet Paper or at least extra pair of socks! 
By maisey - 11/8/2011 11:54:37 AM
Remember you're purpose is to have fun and not kill a bunch-o-birds, and enjoy all parts of hunt; not just pulling trigger.  I've found putting decoys out at 4am and watching good dog work to be as rewarding as anything.  And the exictement of circling birds even when they don't commit still gets your heart thumping.

You don't need expensive decoys or gear.  More importantly, try to scout ahead of time. Be where birds wanna be. 

steve
By loungin - 3/16/2012 10:07:12 PM
watch out for shiny objects , headlight, coke or beer bottles around or in blind, glasses, etc., and just enjoy your time outdoors, of course theres nothing like having your own labraduck to hunt with, the dogs make all the difference!
By Quackman12 - 5/17/2012 8:53:57 PM
Don't over-call. And quit moving until they have out their landing gear.
By whackem en stackem - 6/12/2012 8:59:28 PM
Dont give up...its a learning experiance. My first year i hunted all season and killed 2 ducks...the next i killed 20...year after that 35...last year i killed 48 ducks. Ive hunted iowa rivers and marshes and all the way up to Lake Superior...never with a guide. I was taught to hunt by my dad but never how to duck hunt. The basics are the same though...be safe, know what you are shooting at, camo up, and have fun. The ducks will follow. Make sure not to call too loud or too quietly and know when to use the different calls, feeder, comback, feeding chuckle, bouncing hen...the list just keeps going but most of the ducks i kill i simply use quacks. The decoy spread is another big one but forget about the special shapes. you dont need to use those. I never do, simply because they look unnatural and thats what everyone else uses. dont be afraid to try something different...you never know what will work....i hunt Chequamegon Bay on Lake Superior now and ive used as few as 6 decoys and as many as 8- 10 dozen and have had great success...you just have to figure out what works for you...think of all of these things that people are saying more of as guide lines...not rules.
By DukCallin11 - 11/7/2012 6:49:51 PM
Swanger (8/1/2011)
Dont just make noise with the call for the hell of it while hunting.  Just like when u are holding a conversation with someone u dont shout when the are standing next to u and u dont whisper when they are far out.  Same with duckcalling.  Also dont just make quacks, Feeder calls ect. for the hell of it learn when the apperopriate time is.  U dont say ramdom words in a sentence when u r talking to a person, ducks r the same way.

Couldnt have said it any better!!

But also be patient! have fun! thats what its all about!