COOT (I know it sounds crazy but there are so many and you can take so many) any one have any recipes or jerky ideas?

http://de.ducks.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic745532.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tjw - 10/23/2010 7:43:37 PM
I wanna try coot any ideas?
By brmotorhead - 10/27/2010 6:19:46 PM
I know, I know, there are so many and such wonderful limit! however, I have an iron stomach. There are many divers that i will mix in with other meat and eat, even if i have to force it down. However, i have never been able to even swallow coot. No matter what. its just not meant for human consumption. Im a firm believer that the good lord doesnt want us eating this bird! With that being said, you can still shoot them. Use them for practice with your dog! Freeze them and use them as dummies! Thats what my buddy does with his mergansers, or he will breast them and cook them as a treat for his dog. The way he sees it, his dog hunts hard too and should enjoy some of the spoils!
By jrmam8345 - 11/23/2010 4:00:42 PM
I like coot ok.  To me it doesn't taste that much different than any duck i've eaten.  But I usually just fry the breast meat.
By Its Me! - 11/24/2010 3:48:07 PM
I was just asking some guys on our NJ hunter forum if coot tastes alright, all except 1 guy said they don't, I was wondering cause I had been seeing a lot of them when I was hunting on a lake. Also the one guy only heard they were alright, left me saying waste of shells, but maybe I will try some just to see, hay I eat diver ducks.:D
By honkaddict - 11/25/2010 12:59:00 PM
cut the meat up and mix it with some other ducks and make sticks out of them. ive also tried them cooked in the crockpot with cream of chicken soup both seemed good. i wouldnt just fry them or anything like that.
By WacosSon - 12/13/2010 4:39:09 PM
I firmly believe that coot is the closest thing to eating pure crap that's been grilled over a burning tire and marinated in mildewy mud.

That being said, I'm sure the dog will eat it. There's a high limit for a reason, no one shoots em cuz no one wants em!
By JTFrisque - 12/14/2010 12:37:41 AM
the only good way to eat cook is in some gumbo
By Lonestar_Hunter - 12/20/2010 12:34:03 AM
I can't believe this discussion made it this far haha. I live by the rule that you don't ever eat something that smells like it's dead when it's still alive. But they make for really good pattern testers when they ball up.
By Tbone - 1/12/2011 11:45:47 AM
JTFrisque 12/14/2010
the only good way to eat cook is in some gumbo

Yep!!!!!

By CPDU1 - 1/19/2011 12:40:26 PM
Slice them up and add in some garlic, onion, red pepper, olive oil, ginger and cumin. Mix everything in a large bowl with a can of beer on the side. Throw the mixture in the trash and eat the bowl ... chase it down with the beer! :w00t:
By mydogstinks - 1/22/2011 5:00:12 PM
If you live near the ocean, stick them in a crab pot/trap as bait and turn them into something edible. They may be good crawfish bait as well. I never would have thought about that myself until I read this thread. Now I may have to shoot some coot for the crab pots.
By ag361606 - 1/26/2011 8:48:18 PM
I really don't mind coot at all, but I really like gamey meat. I throw the skinned breasts in a crock pot with half a white onion, diced, lot's of cracked black pepper till it's fork tender(about 3 hours on high) then heat up some cream of mushroom soup with a few tablespoons of sour cream, throw in the bird, simmer for about 10 minutes and pour over noodles of your choice. Tastes like beef stroganoff. Edit- you won't taste much of the flavor of the bird if you drain off the liquid in the crock first and get rid of the onions.
By Coyote - 10/28/2012 9:38:40 AM
I used to take coots all the time while I lived in central Texas. My entire family enjoyed the meal, and the way I cook them is too simple. I pan fry them in butter, onion, chives and mixed garlic. I usually used the breasts and legs, but all you do is season the meat with salt and pepper, and I cook everything at the same time, and by the time the onions are cooked it's done. We usually discarded the onions, but if you don't have to. And if you think it tastes like crap, buttermilk ranch will save the day on that.
By Expendable50 - 12/7/2012 4:30:10 PM
I read that once a Coot dies it starts releasing chemicals into the meat (much like testosterone or adrenaline) that make the meat taste bad. A solution to this would be to breast them within 30 minutes of shooting. Not an expert on this matter however. 
By Chrisk690 - 12/11/2012 9:45:34 PM
What else is there to say!?
By mudbug - 1/3/2013 7:35:33 PM
Coot is good eating. Down in Louisiana we go crazy for them.
By Bigun - 3/9/2013 4:45:39 PM
brmotorhead (10/27/2010)
I know, I know, there are so many and such wonderful limit! however, I have an iron stomach. There are many divers that i will mix in with other meat and eat, even if i have to force it down. However, i have never been able to even swallow coot. No matter what. its just not meant for human consumption. Im a firm believer that the good lord doesnt want us eating this bird! With that being said, you can still shoot them. Use them for practice with your dog! Freeze them and use them as dummies! Thats what my buddy does with his mergansers, or he will breast them and cook them as a treat for his dog. The way he sees it, his dog hunts hard too and should enjoy some of the spoils!

Coots are not "divers". They eat the same grass the widgeon, teal and many other puddle ducks eat. Cook them just like you would cook any other duck. They are great in gumbo. People who tell you they aren't good either don't know how to cook ducks or have a problem between their ears.
By BDhunter - 4/29/2013 9:28:58 AM
i would try them if i ever saw one hunting.cant be any worse then snow geese only way i can eat them is if made into jerky.
By sprigsss - 12/23/2013 10:15:01 AM
Bigun (3/9/2013)

Coots are not "divers". They eat the same grass the widgeon, teal and many other puddle ducks eat. Cook them just like you would cook any other duck. They are great in gumbo. People who tell you they aren't good either don't know how to cook ducks or have a problem between their ears.

This x100.

Have cooked coot for people that didn't know the difference between a coot or a duck.  They just thought it was a species of duck.  Never could tell the difference.

Its all in your head.

I've grilled coot side by side with Teal.  Handed out the meat and those that were terrified of the coot were given Teal and they swore up and down they got the coot.  The people that actually got the coot, never noticed.

Its all mental.  Many were taught they are trash so to these people it will taste like trash if they know they are eating coot.  As long as they think they are eating duck, all is well.

Step on the feet and pull on the wings.  Grind those gizzards up and make the best rice dressing you will ever eat.
By Swamper - 12/23/2013 3:32:43 PM
sprigsss (12/23/2013)
Bigun (3/9/2013)

This x100.

Have cooked coot for people that didn't know the difference between a coot or a duck.  They just thought it was a species of duck.  Never could tell the difference.

Its all in your head.

I've grilled coot side by side with Teal.  Handed out the meat and those that were terrified of the coot were given Teal and they swore up and down they got the coot.  The people that actually got the coot, never noticed.

Its all mental.  Many were taught they are trash so to these people it will taste like trash if they know they are eating coot.  As long as they think they are eating duck, all is well.

Step on the feet and pull on the wings.  Grind those gizzards up and make the best rice dressing you will ever eat.

WARNING-----WARNING!!!!

the author of this post has been known to scrap various, in varying stages of decay, road kill and feast on them as if they were gourmet dishes.

you have been warned.