Goose Jerky?

http://www.ducksunlimited.org/news-media/messageboards/Topic668532.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Impulsefishing - 1/30/2009 10:57:54 AM
Has anyone tried making goose jerky?  I have a bunch in the freezer and would like to try some new recipes.  I just got everything I need to make jerky for Christmas and would like to try using goose. Anyone have recipes?
By CaliHunter - 1/30/2009 12:30:05 PM
goose jeryk is excellent i cut them in 1" wide .5" thick and 6" long. I use high mountain seasoning.   
By waterfwlr - 1/30/2009 12:58:43 PM
CaliHunter 1/30/2009
goose jeryk is excellent i cut them in 1" wide .5" thick and 6" long. I use high mountain seasoning.   

Yup, exactly what I do. I just made 4 pounds of it, everybody in the blind loves it.

By COLO31 - 1/30/2009 2:29:19 PM
I just used my homemade teriyaki recipe, marinated overnight and then about 6-7 hours in the oven. Came out fantastic.
By mk_ried - 1/30/2009 5:46:07 PM
try this if u dont like things spicy cut the red pepper and black pepper in 1/2

Ingredients

• 4 lbs goose breast, thinly sliced
  • 2 c. teriyaki sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
  • 2 Tbsp liquid smoke
  • 2 Tbsp black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp meat tenderizer
  • 1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash
  • 1 Tbsp Red Pepper

Directions:

1. Mix everything together in a large covered bowl, making sure all the goose is submerged.
  2. Put in fridge overnight.
  3. The next day, remove goose and put in dehydrator or smoker.
  4. Cook on medium until jerky is dry, but not crispy
By SWMO Hunter - 1/31/2009 2:22:30 PM
I highly recommend the high mountain seasoning, my favority is the cajun. I do suggest you buy a jerky cutting board so that your strips are all an even thickness. I like to slice mine as thin as i can get it then let it marinade for 24 hrs. and cook it in a dehydrator on low heat for about 5 hrs.
By ralphie14 - 1/31/2009 8:07:49 PM
mk_ried 1/30/2009
try this if u dont like things spicy cut the red pepper and black pepper in 1/2

Ingredients
  • 4 lbs goose breast, thinly sliced
  • 2 c. teriyaki sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Tabasco sauce
  • 2 Tbsp liquid smoke
  • 2 Tbsp black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp meat tenderizer
  • 1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash
  • 1 Tbsp Red Pepper

Directions:
  1. Mix everything together in a large covered bowl, making sure all the goose is submerged.
  2. Put in fridge overnight.
  3. The next day, remove goose and put in dehydrator or smoker.
  4. Cook on medium until jerky is dry, but not crispy

I am using this exact recipe, just made it up this morning to try it out with the dehydrator.

For the guys that use the oven, what temp do you set the oven at and how long do you keep your jerky in there? Do you just throw it on a cookie sheet or do you put it on baking racks used for cooling cookies and such? Do you flip the meat at all or just let it cook on the same side?
By COLO31 - 2/1/2009 12:30:28 AM
I bake the jerky at 170 degrees on cooling racks which I place over cookie sheets. That way the air can circulate around it but it doesn't drip all over the oven. I have to warn you though, it takes about 7-8 hours to completely dry out.

I like doing it this way because I can get the meat to the "safe" temp of 165. Dehydrators don't get that hot.
By Bro MM - 2/1/2009 5:20:18 AM
I have just started making Goose Jerky this year and the results are great. Everybody in the family and my students love it. I received a jerky gun and a meat grinder for Christmas and I thought this would be a great way to work up the geese taken this year. I bought some pepper and garlic jerky seasoning from Shore Lunch and just followed the recipe. Altogether from grinding the geese to drying in the oven, the time was about 3 1/2 hours. This was very simple to do and I know that I will be doing it again next year.
By Impulsefishing - 2/1/2009 2:05:14 PM
SWMO Hunter 1/31/2009
I highly recommend the high mountain seasoning, my favority is the cajun. I do suggest you buy a jerky cutting board so that your strips are all an even thickness. I like to slice mine as thin as i can get it then let it marinade for 24 hrs. and cook it in a dehydrator on low heat for about 5 hrs.

I received the High Mountain seasoning packs over Christmas along with the dehydrator and a meat slicer.  Do you add anything else like mk listed above or do you just use the High Mountain?

By nellinova - 2/2/2009 2:55:52 PM
this stuff sounds good, ima have to make some first goose i get next year!
By Impulsefishing - 2/13/2009 7:46:12 AM
I made my first batch of jerky with the High Mountain Cajun seasoning.  WOW it was amazing.  I had people at work fighting over it and most said it was better than any deer jerky they had ever tried.  This was only my second batch of jerky that I have ever made.  It was simple.  Let it cure for 24 hours then put it on my dehydrator for 9 hours. :D:D:D
By gooseaddict - 2/13/2009 10:18:40 AM
mark another up for high mountain jerky!!! i just started making it this year and cant make enough! i would say about 90 percent of the geese we killed went into making jeky! it was that good! i cook it in the oven at 205 for 2 hours 25 minutes with the door cracked. bought a jerky rack to cook it on. works great. i got an electric smoker for christmas, havent figured it out all that well yet but i cooked some jerky on there and it was pretty good too.
By mk_ried - 2/15/2009 1:19:18 PM
gooseaddict 2/13/2009
mark another up for high mountain jerky!!! i just started making it this year and cant make enough! i would say about 90 percent of the geese we killed went into making jeky! it was that good! i cook it in the oven at 205 for 2 hours 25 minutes with the door cracked. bought a jerky rack to cook it on. works great. i got an electric smoker for christmas, havent figured it out all that well yet but i cooked some jerky on there and it was pretty good too.

im gonna have to try that high mountain sesoning sounds good

when u do use that smoker use dark wood for dark meat and lighter wood for lighter meat 

By gooseaddict - 2/15/2009 8:41:50 PM
mk_ried 2/15/2009
gooseaddict 2/13/2009

when u do use that smoker use dark wood for dark meat and lighter wood for lighter meat

ok thanks. ive been using apple wood from an apple tree we cut down.do you know if you have to be real generous with the wood or how much of that because iit seems like theres never enough smoke until i pile wood chips in there
By mk_ried - 2/16/2009 7:20:58 PM
gooseaddict 2/15/2009
mk_ried 2/15/2009
gooseaddict 2/13/2009

ok thanks. ive been using apple wood from an apple tree we cut down.do you know if you have to be real generous with the wood or how much of that because iit seems like theres never enough smoke until i pile wood chips in there

i usally soak mine in water for an hour or so then put a couple handfuls in,  then i wont put anymore in until it stops smoking just keep an eye on the temp thats the most important part with a smoker u dont wanna give it to much heat or youll cook them to quick and it defeats the purpose of using the smoker i  usally keep mine in there for about 8-9 hours

By jguns2002 - 2/18/2009 9:51:26 AM
I saw this on Good Eats w/Alton Brown. The jerky came out looking much better than any results i've ever gotten w/the oven drying method.

Beef Jerky Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005

Prep Time:
20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
8 hr 0 min
Cook Time:
12 hr 0 min

Level:
Difficult

Serves:
10 to 12 ounces

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
* 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
* 2/3 cup soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons onion powder
* 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Directions

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 month
By Impulsefishing - 2/19/2009 8:37:33 AM
I made some more jerky using the High Mountain Hickory seasoning.  I added crushed red pepper to it too.  Great stuff!!!!!
By "Bossman" - 7/10/2009 3:12:08 PM
if you grind the meat up then add a little ground beef you woudnt even know it was goose the high mountain seasoning is a must you can get it at cabelas
By drake4 - 7/11/2009 2:35:23 PM
the high mountain has 3 flavors cajun,hickory,and original..best jerky mix ever made. id just like to know more about this jerky slicer yall was talkin bout.
By raininducks - 7/12/2009 10:01:13 AM
All of these are great. Also try the same recipe but substitute the the teriyaki with a mix of worchestershire & A1 steak sauce. Or if you have it in your local grocery store pickapepper sauce. It's with the hot sauce.
By WaterChicken - 7/12/2009 9:33:17 PM
jguns2002 2/18/2009
I saw this on Good Eats w/Alton Brown. The jerky came out looking much better than any results i've ever gotten w/the oven drying method.

Ha ha I love Alton Brown's shows! My wife thinks he's odd, but I think he has the best show on that network. His books are good too. He teaches you how to cook, not just give you a recipe or one dish. He did an entire show on toast! And I learned A LOT! it's like Bill nye the science guy for adult foodies.
By ORDuckhunter - 7/13/2009 3:05:22 PM
For you guys that make your jerky in a smoker, What wood do you prefer to use? I have always used hickory and was thinking about trying mesquite or oak what are you thoughts.
By Bsens07 - 10/25/2009 7:09:10 PM
Do you guys soak your goose breast before grinding it up?  Some people I know soak them in salt water for 24 hours before using them, wasnt sure if you would have to if it was gonna be ground up
By aqualungz - 10/31/2009 1:02:44 PM
I have made alot of goose jerky but first I heat it up in the stove at 200 for about 30 minutes then put it in the dehydrator.  This helps kill any bacteria it may have.  
By aqualungz - 10/31/2009 1:05:53 PM
xavier80 7/13/2009
For you guys that make your jerky in a smoker, What wood do you prefer to use? I have always used hickory and was thinking about trying mesquite or oak what are you thoughts.

I make venison and turkey jerky in a smoker and use apple wood and it turns out excellent.  Actullay if you soak apple or cherry wood in water for a few hours then put it in your grill when cooking steaks or fish it adds a real nice flavor too. 

By Duckslayer07 - 11/2/2009 12:04:45 AM
I just made some jerky a few days ago.

Start off with about 20 breast. Thats what I had in one Gallon Bag.

Buy a small package of Stew Meat

Buy two packages of season and cure...I used whiskey pepper 

Grind up 3 or 4 goose breast

Grab 7 or 8 pieces of stew meat and grind that up

Then grind up 3 or 4 more breast

Then more stew meat

Same process until you run out of meat.

Mix all of that meat up so that you get the stew meat mixed in well

Pour the packages of  cure and seasoning in ( the mix calls for 1 bag of cure and 1 bag of seasoning to every 5 pounds of meat)

After the mix is in, mix it up real good and then put into jerky gun

Use the gun and put on the dehydrater plates, and leave it on there from 8-10 hours.

Best jerky I have ever made...Taste like beef jerky

By bassduck - 11/25/2009 4:42:47 PM
YES,YES,YES! You can make goose jerky and its very easy but does take time.I use a jerky seasoning called Grandma LaMURE'S spice and slice jerky mix,and have had excelent results. Here is a good tip, slice the goose breast while it is still partally frozen, and use a sharp knife try to keep the slices no more than a 1/4" thick,1/8" is better thats why I suggest slicing while still part frozen
By D870 - 12/27/2009 4:06:31 PM
Goose Jerky is actually pretty good! I had great success with the Hi Mountain jerky seasoning. They actually make seasoning specifically for waterfowl now, but I used the Hi Mountain Cajun flavor seasoning/cure. I have heard the Mesquite is pretty good too.

I dont have a dehydrator so I use the oven with the door cracked open. If you follow the instructions with the Hi Mountain packaging it comes out great! Just make sure to cut your meat no thicker than 1/4 inch or so, and against the grain, doesnt matter how long the strips are. You can buy racks with a drip pan to use in your oven, works well.

Hope this helps, good luck!

By widgeon113 - 12/28/2009 6:23:44 PM
now, would duck work just as good as goose?
By Harlan - 12/30/2009 11:12:13 AM
You can make your own marinades simply and add speed cure to it which can be purchased at cabela's, lem, or sausage maker. I use pinapple juice, water, brown sugar, chipotle liquid smoke, soy, worchestire, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flake, course black pepper, sea salt, and speed cure. Turns out great.
By DCpuddler - 1/18/2010 2:06:20 PM
I just made some goose jerkey the other day for the first. between four guys we killed 8 canadians and 2 specks, and like usual, nobody wanted them so I took all 10 birds and breasted them out. Froze them then sliced them into then strips when they were half thawed out... made a huge bowl of meat. I then threw together some stuff I had in the cabinet and it turned out to be the BEST jerkey I have ever had. I had friends begging me to write the recipe down so they could try it. So i'll post it here and u guys can use try it for yourselves.

1 whole bottle of la choy soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tbs of honey
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tbs yellow mustard (out of the bottle, like u put on burgers)
1 tbs ketchup
1 tsp hickory liquid smoke
3 tbs of Country Bob's all purpose sauce SPICY (its a type of steak sauce)
1 tbs of garlic powder
1 tbs of onion powder
1 tsp of cayenne or red pepper

Marinate for 24-36 hours and dehydrate. Like i said, it's the best I've ever had. Just experimented with stuff I had and caught lightening in a bottle. lol...
By Amish Amy - 1/30/2010 3:09:07 PM
I just tried some of the Hi Mtn seasoning hickory on some venison jerky.  You can keep that stuff!!!!!!!!! I'll stick to my recipe thats a lot like the ones posted above.
By Adam Freeland® - 2/3/2010 2:46:16 PM
I've used the High Mtn terriyaki and have had great results with it, never tried the other flavors though.  I let it marinate for 36 hrs and dehydrated for 15.  People at the office bug me to make more.
By Bsens07 - 3/17/2010 4:22:44 PM
Just made it for the first time. I ended up having a few problems. One problem was the tendons in the breast clogged the meat grinder. I ended up cubing the meat and soaking it in buttermilk before grinding it. Used High Mtn Cracked Pepper and Garlic, also mixed in 1lb of ground beef. Put on racks in the over, with a wooden spoon cracking open the oven door.  Overall it turned out great, even with a few small mishaps here and there. The people I work with cant keep their hands off it, even my girl friend is yelling I need to shoot more geese...Maybe she should buy me a few more dekes :D.

Im not sure if I really needed to soak it in buttermilk but like I said I did anyway.  The only major problem was I had to put the breast in a strainer and put weight on it to get the excess moisture out.

By Big Duck Man - 12/28/2012 9:22:16 AM
aqualungz (10/31/2009)
I have made alot of goose jerky but first I heat it up in the stove at 200 for about 30 minutes then put it in the dehydrator.  This helps kill any bacteria it may have.  

What temp and how long for your dehydrator?
By blackjack10 - 1/9/2013 3:33:28 PM
I'm making my first attempt at goose jerky this weekend. I made some duck jerky a couple years ago that was ok. Could've used some more seasoning though. Hopefully it turns out ok.